Chalcedony knife 3/13/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalcedony knife 3/13/19

I did get the gravel from the plow out of the yard after work today, but the whole time I was picking limestone I kept thinking about flint lol.
    I decided to run back up to the potatoe field last couple hours of light, went to fresh beagler tracks but decided to keep making straight passes where I had left off. Found a couple fragmented pieces and then a nice re worked hafted adena point. Thinking that was likely the find of the night but unwilling to quit, I decided to head to the back of the field one last time knowing it would be dark coming out. I found a knife or point the cook made out of a calico color cobble and thought I may be related to him lol. I reached the end of the field and as I turned I saw a beautiful tip sticking up. Tried to make sure I got a nice insitu and knowing it was probably a heart breaker I stooped down and touched.. it felt locked in, high hopes of a big beautiful notched Hopewell.. I think I have 95% of her and I’m pretty sure because of the fault line running through it they left as a knife. Angled break of a 1/4” on the length at 1 ear to just over the center is gone but I love her anyway!

That looks like a good one
    NW Georgia,

Comment

That's a real nice knife. I parked too close to the barn and when the snow came off it buried my pickup. We won't be seeing the ground for quite some time.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Glacial Pebble
        Glacial Pebble commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you get a warm snap soon.. looks like a bit of snow in our forecast here next week, gonna be 67 today they say, 63 currently!

That is a sweet knife as well as the others. Have all of these recent posts been from the same field?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Glacial Pebble
        Glacial Pebble commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, was a potato field in the fall. They chiseled half of it after they picked them.

Wow GP that's superb man congrats. I get excited when I find little chalcedony nuggets.... cool insutus...one of the pics...I think number 3 ...you should blow it up and frame it and hang it on the wall man.... Rest of the finds are cool too
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Really good evening for ya.. Nice blade.. Blade crack looks like a freeze fracture that began at the edge..I hope SHE holds together !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          If it happens to crack like mine did last week Elmer’s is the best for repair if you make a mistake warm water will fix it and it dries clear

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw that SH, I could not tell if your blade was victim of freeze or not. Any impurity subjects artifacts to freeze fracture. I see it here in artifacts to often . I’m far and away south too...Bad enough thinking about tractor implements breaking artifacts.. All intact artifacts are a wonder !

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Could be freeze crack the water stays cold all year long winter of course colder sometimes my toes are numb

Always nice to walk a field and when you find arrow points you know the Native Americans walked in the same spot, some nice finds
        Last edited by willjo; 03-14-2019, 03:39 PM.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Really nice blade. I love the insitru pics - great angle!

Comment

Amazed!
            New Jersey

Comment

What a great story . I know that feeling you just can’t stop .
              great blade . Like those duckbill scrappers

Comment

Any chance of getting a outside sunlight pic of that knife? I’d like to see the work on it
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• Glacial Pebble
                  Glacial Pebble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will after work tomorrow, parents got back from Florida today so I went to visit after work and just got home.

Here are a few more pictures for Surface Hunter

Comment

That’s some nice material and flaking I can see where the plow got it so many field finds are like that the big pieces mainly. It will still look good in a frame, thanks for the nice pics
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

nice find. I love the waxy luster of that stuff.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Waxy finish is cool
                      SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                      X