Newest find is a sweet adena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest find is a sweet adena

My only find from today but it is a nice one. I was holding my breath as I was pulling it but I got lucky and it is all there. It is such a great feeling to find a nice undamaged artifact in a farm field. Click image for larger version

Name:	0316191025.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	356577 Click image for larger version

Name:	0316191025a.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	356576 Click image for larger version

Name:	0316191026.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	356575
    Attached Files
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Now that's what we wanna find... beauty Andrew congrats
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Red! I don't know how this one escaped the plow but I'm glad it did.

Hey Andrew, That is an awesome blade. I love the percussion work. Andrew is there any pressure flaking on the edge?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ron! There is a very small amount of pressure flaking but I think it was likely just finishing work. The percussion work is really nice. Whoever made this piece was a skilled knapper.

That’s a big one I bet they were sad when it was lost. Making me want to go check the field in a washout before they plant but it’s probably grassed over by now. Might run check though just in case. Center fame find
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I was thinking but working today just on lunch. Should of gone yesterday but had to make a delivery to the owner of quartz creek and just decided to spend the rest of the day there just to find that hoe. I like points better. I might give the hoe away if I join the secret Santa this year

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      That hoe is pretty neat and would make a super cool secret Santa gift. I can't ever make up my mind on what my favorite artifact types are. I do really love points and blades but I have a really nice full grooved ave that is near the top of my list. I guess I just love all artifacts. I have a really hard time parting with anything that I find.
      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 03-16-2019, 01:58 PM.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have another I found that fits in a case already I do give things away i find sometimes but the points fit better in a frame. I’ve got a whole table full of worked cobbles already I like the drilled ones the best.

Very nice! Congrats!!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, GP!

What a score! That’s a big ol’ blade! Congrats to that man!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jay! It is one of the nicer pieces I've found in awhile.

Super find, nice to walk along and pick them up.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Johnny! That's the only way I find em. I only surface hunt. Wish I had permission to dig in some of these fields.

Holly Molly . Your the type guy what do you think it is .
    You know I have never found a blade whole like that EVER just sitting on the surface . It’s always a little piece showing and I flip at it and then the piece comes up or I dig.
    where I am going with this is I might drop if I saw something that size sitting there . Like someone set me up . I just can’t imagine . What were your first thought ?
    and congrats

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Tam! I think it is an adena. I've found a few just sitting on the surface but usually they are slightly covered. All my finds are surface finds bc I don't dig.
      My first thought was: Alright, looks like a nice one! After that I had to temper my excitement bc I figured it would be broke.

Boy like Ron’s commit I want to look at those edges with a loop .

Comment

BA, you are having a great year and it's still early in the year! I would love to find a big one like that!
      South Carolina

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Josie! It has been a really good year so far. I'm lucky to have a very productive site. I hope you find some nice ones this year!

Thats a really fine piece BA..congrats !
      People only see what they are prepared to see -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Nice Find!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Josh! Would you agree with the call of adena?

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome, not for sure what I'd call It.

Very nice.. congrats

Comment

Heck yea man. That’s a monster. Congrats to you.
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I think out of all the types I find I like the Adenas the best
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        In not sure what my favorite type is. I'm kinda partial to etleys and other archaic stuff

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        If we had them here I might change my mind. Mostly Adena to Mississippian here a little Archaic and even smaller amount of dalton. Paleo is like finding hens teeth.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        We have it all here in Missouri. I haven't found a dalton or any paleo yet but I hope to one day. Oldest I've found was archaic stuff.
    Working...
    X