6 AM 1 point day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 AM 1 point day

Heavy rain last night so got up early so I wouldn't be walking in foot prints. This has been a productive site for years but has fallen off due to heavy hunting I think. Last fall the farmer cleared a 200 yrd x 50 off the site. Cut trees blew stumps and plowed and disc it. Took the field down almost to the creek. Hit it late last yr. and found a couple brokes as it was still pretty clodded.Today I had to hunt the washed off edges and still had 20 lb. boots. Found this piece as just an edge showing. Fingered some dirt off and could feel it was a large piece so walked back to truck and got camera then took the 1st. photo below.
    I thought I'd have a little fun and see if anyone could ID it with what is showing. I did before flipping it but was wrong. When someone gets it I will post the whole uncovering. Nice piece REALLY. SE Iowa 1/2 mile from Mississippi river. I guessed before flipping it and was wrong.
    SE IA

Is that the only pic you are giving us?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Yes, if I show any more of it you wont have to take a guess.
      SE IA

Comment

• Glacial Pebble
        Glacial Pebble commented
        Editing a comment
        I posted up the flint I found out there and started a thread in Native American artifacts

I would have been leery about walking back to truck without taking it with me scared I would not find it again. If it is a couple inches longer could be Clovis
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was dawn, even the chickens weren't up. Only 40 yrds and big mud footprints were easy to return to it. Not paleo.

I guess Snyders, I wanna see it! But I’m hoping Hardin or Dovetail..It’s been over a decade since I’ve been out your way... married a gal from Burlington, she broke my heart. Miss the happy times we had out there.

Comment

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are very close.Good eye. Sorry about the gal.
        Last edited by oldrocks2; 03-31-2019, 05:50 PM.

• Glacial Pebble
        Glacial Pebble commented
        Editing a comment
        Her grandparents had a big farm in Sperry, I found an undrilled bow tie banner stone of gneiss in one of his fields my very first artifact hunt in Iowa! The next Easter we went out and her dad got me permission on 2 neighboring farms by her grandparents and the day before and Easter Day I found 1/2 grooved keokuk axes.. Man I miss Iowa!!
        Have a frame of points I’ll post up some day, they always told me to check the creeks but I only ever found 1 in yellow creek I think they called it.?.? Most points were beat up or snapped in half, but I found a few keepers.

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I hunt the Sperry area couple times a yr. Would be cool to see your finds from there, bet there are a lot of adenas. I had 4 sites up there but down to 1 now.

Lost lake ? Hard to see base

Comment

Laughing over the 20 lb boots hate that ..
        cant stand it do I see a drop ear .. corner notch full of mud ?

Comment

Guess I stretched this out to long. Glacial Pebble was close enough. It's a North blade but everyone around here calls them Snyders preforms. Best one I have found. Think the site will produce more hopewell items, it has in the past but this new ground is a hopefull. The blade survived dynamite, plow and bulldozer glad to have found it.
          SE IA

Comment

It’s a beauty for sure, I read your reply and was gonna guess North so I could see it. Congrats!

Comment

Killer find! That is a beautiful blade. Put it in the find of the month contest!
              Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• oldrocks2
                oldrocks2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for telling me about that, I think I will.

That’s a monster!
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Wow! Gorgeous point.
                Surely that is not a preform, right?
                California

Comment

• oldrocks2
                  oldrocks2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Depends where you read about it. About all sources say it's Hopewell period but not all agree it's a Snyder preform. Myself I think it is. You can lay a Snyder over one and all that's missing are the notches, so..............

Great Blade .

Comment

Happy for you, must of been tough with muddled up boots. Sweet blade.
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• oldrocks2
                    oldrocks2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure didn't help, dang legs are wore out anyway. After I found it I gave it up for the day but happy anyhow. I did walk a 25 ft. circle around it thinking cach but nope.

I believe some might be preforms but if it has edge work I think they are more likely the knife form of the points. My Adena blade I found a month ago shows sharpening and edge work
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                  X