It's good to diversify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's good to diversify

Last weekend I had the opportunity to take a three day weekend. Saturday was opening weekend for Spring Turkey hunting and the weather was supposed to be decent. Friday I surface hunted for most of the day and only found one broken point. It was a bit of a heartbreaker because it was a notched point and the material was mottled.

Saturday morning I was up bright and early ready for some wild Turkey. I could hear Toms all over the place, but never saw one. Eventually I gave up and walked an area where I think a turn of the century farm house was located, but I have never paid much attention too. After a few minutes I found an old horseshoe and as luck would have it, I almost immediately found a little bird point. A few minutes later I found a license plate that is from between 1917 and 1921. A few more minutes and I found a J.R. Watkins bottle from the same time frame (along with several other old bottles that didn't have any distinguishing marks on them). After I was convinced there was nothing else in that area to find, I went to another wooded area to shed hunt and found two decent sheds. I spent the rest of the evening fishing.

Sunday after another unsuccessful turkey hunt, I decided the to spend a little time specifically looking for quarry blanks/bifaces and picked up all that I could carry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	359581
    I think this material is called Hamilton Mottled. This is the first heavily worked piece I have found from this material.

Name:	birdy.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	359582
    I haven't tried to type this one yet. It is the first complete point I have found on this property

Name:	jrwatkins.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	359583
    J.R. Watkins Liniment bottle from around 1920

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	359584
    Texas Plate from 1917 to 1920

Name:	sheds.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	359585
    Quarry blanks and sheds
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

Some nice finds, I pick up all those things when I find them.
    Last edited by willjo; 04-02-2019, 11:46 AM.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I haven’t found a shed yet I think the animals eat them fast around here. I like them blanks, nice finds
      NW Georgia,

Comment

That is the exact same thing I do when gobblers don't come. I just get up, and walk around until I find one, and find some cool things in the process. That is a nice bird point!

Don't think that there is nothing left to find at that house! Get a metal detector (or rent one), and search that place good. Silver coins were made until 1965, so you may find a few there.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• CTex
          CTex commented
          Editing a comment
          I was actually detecting when I found the bird point, but I have an inexpensive detector and there is a ton of trash metal in the ground. Even with the filter set I was beeping on almost every sweep over old wire, cans, etc. There is a known turn of the century homesite on a different property that I hunt that I am dying to detect, just need a good detector. I have a birthday coming up, there may be a new one in my future!!

Nice finds good day
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Hey Kevin, You sure had a great long weekend. I'm still waiting for above freezing temps so I can saw some of the material you sent me. My trim saw uses water.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• CTex
            CTex commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to rub it in, but high of 71 and sunny here today!! I guess I'll pay for it in July/August

Nice Stuff You found!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Way to kill a 3 day weekend!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great array of finds CTex cool bottle and sheds! Where is the fish pic?
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

I figured there would be
                “and then I went fishing and caught a cooler full of crappie.”

nice day man, congrats.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you guys cook your crappie ? Fry ?
                  I’ll catch some in May when I go to Georgia .

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fillet them, drag them through some corn meal, then fry them in peanut oil.

About as good as it gets...second only to walleye, as far as freshwater fish goes.😮

I caught about 10 ranging from 2.5 to 5 lbs. this little 1acre pond is full of large mouth and Kentucky black bass and are some of the best fighting fish for their size that I have ever seen.

Name:	535C49B7-6A13-4CBE-ADB1-A065E5C7A44B.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	359656

Thanks for asking!!!!
                Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s a big ole fatty there!!!👍👍👍

Now that’s a dream day to me ! Everything I like to do packed into a few days . I can be such a Tom boy . The points are always of interest of course but I think that license plate is the Star here .

Comment

Working...
                X