Jack's reef, blunt and some brokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack's reef, blunt and some brokes

On the way home from the post office a field called my name for a quick check of a drainage ditch. It was finally dry enough and it gave a few up. found this broke that was repurposed to a scraper.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3958 (800x582).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	359784
    Then I noticed a bit of color that turned out to be a striped Jack's reef like point.

Name:	DSC_3962 (800x672).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	359781 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3963 (800x534).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	359782
    A few brokes and scraper rounded out this quick walk down the ditch.

Name:	DSC_3953 (800x408).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	359783
    The wife wanted me home and the mower needs work or I'd still be out there.
    Thanks for looking, fldwlkr
    Attached Files
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Great walk there . Is that a spokeshave maybe ?

Comment

• fldwlkr
      fldwlkr commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe... it shows use wear in the curved area. Multipurpose flake scraper.

Nice finds Fldwlkr love the lithic
    colors!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice....awesome day for ya . Cool finds... congrats
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I hate that when the wife is like that. My wife has started talking the same days off as me. I liked being able to go when I wanted to. Get that mower fixed and get back out there that’s one heck of a drainage ditch, nice finds
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• fldwlkr
          fldwlkr commented
          Editing a comment
          In her defense, she had asked to take a walk earlier in the day and was cool with my finds when I got home. We did take our walk to the back of the property and everybody is happy. Mower is ready and the rain is back tomorrow.

Nice finds! That Jacks reef looks cool!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That was a nice quick walk. The Jacks Reef is in good shape.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice finds! I think the broken one could qualify as a double point arrowhead.

Comment

The Jack's Reef really looks side notched. It might be a Raccoon Side Notch, which is basically a JR with side notches, rather then corner notches. Raccoon Side Notch points are regarded as part of the Jack's Reef cluster, and your point, a beauty, really looks like it is side notched. Here at projectilepoints.net, it's called a Raccoon Creek, but I've always seen it described as Raccoon Side Notched. Same age as JR Corner Notched. Anyway, just a suggestion, as noted here, they are often confused with JR Corner Notched, but are instead side notched:

From the typology guide by Noel Justice, here our can see the two types, the bottom 3 points being Raccoon Notched, with the distribution map for both types seen on the right:

Name:	IMG_2612.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	359908
              Rhode Island

Comment

• fldwlkr
                fldwlkr commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with your assessment. I have Noel Justice's book and a quick glance gave me the "Jack's reef like" point description. I really like the way Mr. Justice has organized his book and would recommend it to anyone.

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I really like his cluster concept as well. Great reference!
            Working...
            X