Last Week's Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Week's Finds

Hello friends - got out last week on a nice sunny day and found a few interesting points. Wake County, central NC. We've been drowning in rain here over the last few days so these will have to hold me for a while!

From left, I believe these are: Big Sandy or variant Taylor (this guy is beveled on opposite faces); quartz Palmer (instead of Kirk due to size); Lecroy, my first ever bifurcate!!!; and maybe a broke Guilford that was possibly repurposed as an awl? Always happy for advice/guidance on typing, if anyone has opinions! These are all from the same general site, about a quarter mile of eroding bank/sandy beach/gravel bar along a river. One of my favorite spots due to the variety of finds. Must have been inhabited continually over many thousands of years, so it's always fun to walk. Lot of flakes and rough tools to look at, if nothing else. Of course, private property with permission.
    Central North Carolina

Nice selection of points really like quartz point, it is well made
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Wonderful finds HikerGalNC absolutely love the Lecroy!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• HikerGalNC
        HikerGalNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Sugaree, me too! It's worn super-smooth and missing the tip but very cool to find a new type.

Beautiful artifacts . Congrats on the finds
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Where the tools? Points are nice you must have a good spot cause you always post nice things.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• HikerGalNC
          HikerGalNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks SH! This is a really good spot and with all the rain we've been having, it keeps producing (when it's not underwater!). As for tools, what I usually find are rough quartz "slices", I imagine for use as scrapers. Lots of quartz in this area. Wasn't sure anyone would be interested in those but if so, I can get a few into a decent photo and post.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the tools I sure a lot do. Most like the points but I enjoy all

That’s a great day for anyone . Congrats

Comment

Good Haul!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Sounds like you know exactly what your typing about ! Also, sounds like a fantastic site ! Congrats to you Gal ! JJ
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hey Hiker Gal you sure seem like you know your points when you find them. Thanks for sharing
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Is that Palmer quartz ? I was looking at it closer . That kind of a rare find in my book .

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                    HikerGalNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Tam, yes it is. It's always great to find a quartz point, most of what I see here is greenish rhyolite.

I love those Palmers . My friend was plowing a field and on popped up . . They just have the best detail .

Comment

Working...
                  X