The Field Wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Field Wash

I picked up Mikey after lunch and we headed to the same lake/ pond shore we’ve been looking for awhile .. It looked good but the rain washed the sand down into the low blowouts. So, we headed to a different site and started looking. Mikey went up to the top of the sandy hill and I stayed in the ancient wash. The wash long ago trickled fresh water from the sandy hill. I stayed in the old the area and walked to every possible glint of flint. This ancient little stream now, is about 300 yards long, and at the bottom about 75 yards wide. It has a lot of burnt rock/ fire rock, from top to bottom. Mikey found about 12 broken points on top of the hill, I stayed put walking slowly. In the pic, at the 12 o’clock position a piece of Ochre with 7 facets . They got all the good out of it. 3 o’clock position is a Maud arrowhead , 5-7 o’clock position are broken arrowheads. 9 o’clock is a Scallorn made of pink agate, with a little tip nick. Anyway in any field , if there is a Field Wash, stay after it, you will be rewarded..... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Good Hunting!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Felt good, wish I had more strength , I’d of walked to the top hill where Mikey was hunting. He found a 1945 Penny up there. The top of the hill has been hunted since the 50’s , still producing.

Great finds. The wash areas are about all I can hunt now with the legs bad but it has been productive for me Congrats on the finds. Any idea what the point was at 7:00 strange place for a notch.
    SE IA

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      It is one ear of a Toyah, had another on the right side and blade above. It’s no wonder that it did not survive .

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I feel you brother , my legs gave out and had to quit before I wanted..

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I hope other surface hunters pay attention to what we are discussing !

Looks like the last wind storm helped you out after all. Nice finds
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but the sand filled in the low blowouts after the rain..

Great day LMan . Tell me what the bottom might have been . Then that top one . I have this lithic in my area they work down to the numb . A red Chert or quartzite what is the red one on top ? looks like one I found . Do you believe utilized down to nothing or a type of tool .

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      The top piece is a wore out piece of ochre Tam, thus the 7 facets.The bottom right piece is a broken base to a arrowhead. Not much there..

Good day!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg, hard on a old man. I just push until I give out.

Sweet! That first insitu looked difficult to spot! So did they use that ochre to paint?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Yes the ochre was for paint. Question is, were they painting themselves or something else ? I use to not pick it up Ethan, I have started doing so. That one was very unusual .

Nice score brother man. ..little arrowhead is cool.and the blade.....all cool congrats in good hunt
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      This is what happens brother, looking west and down the sand mirrors the sun, burnt my face. Some places are worse than others. It all depends on the silica.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      And. Oh yes the red ochre Is cool. Find...used for paint,?

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I’m inquiring about it bro...

Good hunting and good idea picking up all flakes that way you won't have to pick them up again. I have a piece of the red Ocher in a plastic bag but it is crumbling ready to mix with a base to make paint
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I try to pick up everything . In the bowl there is a nice chunk of pottery, a broken scraper and one micro blade... I’ll have to examine the rest.

Going to stain a beaver chew for a waking stick . What do you guys mix with it . I use oil .

Comment

LMan I pickup every darn chip and look at it later

Comment

Nice batch of goodies, stay after them.

Comment

Great looking site.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Editing a comment
        Maybe one more walk before the plow.....I hope !

Brother man...i havent seen that much flint as you have in that bowl. In all my yrs of kicking...I see a nice scraper n that bowl I think?
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Editing a comment
        There is Bro , it’s broken..

Redrocks clear your pm

Comment

Working...
      X