Yesterdays kayak trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterdays kayak trip

I took advantage of the nice weather to paddle my way to a coastal site i discovered last year and the shifting sands were kind....

My first find was a large quartz triangle. The excurvate edges are a little atypical for a Levanna, but thats what I am going with based on the size and the prominent tangs

The second point was a quartz stemmed point wading river(?)

They werent exactly hard to find today. Like the two quartz points, this Neville knife was just lying on top of the sand. There is a little damage to one of the corners but im not complaining

Before the day was over i added a few more broken quartz pieces, a black flint Fox Creek (?) base and a little Brewerton corner notched point.
    it was easily the best day i have had in years and on top of all the great finds, i got to watch my buddy roll his kayak.... my sides still hurt from laughing!!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Hunting_Dad; 04-16-2019, 07:34 AM. Reason: Fixed Photos

Oh man ! Your day was fruitful ! Congrats !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Noice!

(in my best Sean Connery voice)
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Awesome finds...imI'not sure that would be a Levanna..the concave base is pretty deep....kinda looks hardaway -daltonish.. to me... I'd see what Hoss or Charlie or Jay would say . Congrats on the good day
        Last edited by redrocks; 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM.
        SW Connecticut

Comment

The white v-shaped one is pretty nice. Looks like you had a great kayak trip. I think it might be something else like Redrocks said.,,,,

Comment

Congratulations! That weir triangle is awesome!
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice day of finds I hope the water wasn’t to cold when you’re friend flipped I’ve gone sideways a couple of times against a log in the current and flipped. Never got hurt yet just soaked
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Adventurous day out, nice scores

Comment

Great pics and finds . What a great story to go along with yes a fruitful day indeed . Even that broke in the top left has a dalton look to it .

Comment

How’s that concavity feel? Sharp or smooth? I agree with Red, that’s probably not a Levanna.

Comment

The base is unground, except for perhaps some very light touching to the outside edge of the tangs. Having cleaned the piece up, it has the symetry and shape of a Squib more so than that of a Levanna. The size initially threw me off, but based on context and physical characteristics i think it is more likely a large Squibnocket Triangle.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                        SurfaceHunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What’s the age of the triangle then? I’m not from your area. Looks old to me

Sorry, i lose track of everyones locations....
                      quartz triangles can be hard to nail down in New England, the oldest and most lanceolate forms date to 9000bp.... squibnocket triangles are the most common in my area and overlap geographically with a more recently identified but slightly older “Annasnappit triangle”. The are ofter hard to differentiate and have a combined date range of 3000-7000bp

Comment

Great day congrats. Is the black one in the photo the one you called fox creek?
                        New Jersey

Comment

• Hunting_Dad
                          Hunting_Dad commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The black one in the lower right of the group shot. Initially i thought it may have been a foxcreek with the little ear-like flare at the base of the stem... having handled it more and taking the material into consideration i now think it is more likely a busted up susquehanna. The other “black” one is a fine grained grey rhyolite... most likely a Neville, but a little unusual for the type
                          Last edited by Hunting_Dad; 04-27-2019, 01:39 PM.
                      Working...
                      X