• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A groovy one

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	362108 Could hear the wind whipping in my dreams last night just outside my bedroom window. I knew this wind direction with high surf was likely to be lashing one of my favorite beaches to look for artifacts.

One stretch of the beach was particularly sanded up, and I don’t think it’ll be productive again for quite awhile. But on an inside corner of the beach where the high surf and wind had kicked up some larger stones, and shifted some sand, from 30 feet I spotted this beautiful grooved net weight.
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Sweet find!
    Johnson county Missouri

Comment

Awesome find!
      I’m just not tuned into finding those things.
      I always steer away from big rocks trying to look at the smaller stones. Keep searching, maybe you will get a plummet!

JMatt

Comment

• Pointhead
        Pointhead commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s my problem! I either look for the large stones for tools or weights, or the small ones for points! I would keel over if I ever found a plummet. That’s high on my list of things to find

Nice find Ben congrats...thats mad cool....I got 40 notched weights. But 0 grooved weights lol
      Last edited by redrocks; 04-16-2019, 06:23 PM.
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Are you sure it’s not a hammer?
        South Dakota

Comment

• Pointhead
          Pointhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Based on the site I assume it’s a weight, there have been quite a few grooved and notched weights found there. But I don’t know I guess I couldn’t rule out a hammer.

I resisted the temptation to throw in a corny scooby doo meme. Groovy find, lol!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice weight man!

Comment

I thought grooved hammer as well with the blunt end. Let’s see the ends if you don’t mind. I’d like to find anything grooved but all are notched or Celts that’s a nice one
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Sweeeeet👍👍
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

For those who have requested, I took a picture of the possible end which could have been used as a hammer.

I still maintain my belief that it was a weight, but broken cutting implements have been found at this site in the past.
                Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Seeing the end isn’t flat I think you are correct but still a cool grooved stone. I wonder which are older the grooved ones or notched ones? That’s a lot of work for a net weight
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

• Pointhead
                    Pointhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    From what I understand grooved weights tend to be older, as time went on people started to realize that simply notching weights was less time consuming and equally as effective

I am so removed from the beach area I love seeing your finds . You wonder what they made nets out of . What type of plant .

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                    OnewiththewilD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dogbane otherwise know as Indian hemp was a commonly used plant to make cordage from around here.

Thanks I’ll look that plant up. Always learning from you coastials

Comment

Working...
                  X