White curved gouge ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White curved gouge ...

I am calling this piece a gouge cause it is curved. At it's center this tool is 3/8 in thick. The lithic is microcrystalline fossil chert. Very dense matrix. It is severely curved to a beaver tooth like bit end. It has 1 side notch. It is shaped like a point with two sides that are beveled at a 45 deg angle. Very odd piece. It looks polished. I tried it on some wood & it will hollow out a worked area very quick. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks , Joe Louvier
    Last edited by Louvier; 06-08-2019, 12:28 AM.

Probably a multi tool the curve is due to it being a thick flake. Lots of good finds today welcome to the crowd
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I could see it being used as a spokeshave
      South Dakota

Comment

Hey Joe, I found a piece just like that last weekend, although it’s not white. I did the same thing with it. It’s very sharp...I’ll locate it and post pics later...
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Gouge, spoon, scraper, spokeshave or something else. It's a nice tool and the chert looks very fine.
          California

Comment

Cool
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Could be used as an effective scraper. Think of using it to clean a hide over your knee. The curve would be useful.

Comment

Jethro , I would like to see what you found and thanks to all who commented on this thread. Rob ,The use of the curve over the knee is distinct possibility. Joe Louvier
                Last edited by Louvier; 06-10-2019, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X