Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second trip to a new site, much older finds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second trip to a new site, much older finds....

One of the things I enjoy most about this hobby is process of trying to figure out the 'who, when and why' of a particular site. The picture in my head is constantly evolving and being refined with each new artifact and with new sites, the picture can look very different at the end of the day than it did at the beginning. Such was the case this weekend when I revisited a coastal site I discovered last year. Having previously found two Rossville points, a potsherd and broken gorget with very little in the way of flakes or waste material, I assumed I was looking at a mid to late Woodland camp. That all changed as soon as I stepped out of my kayak and found what I suspect is a much earlier base. While I am not yet 100%, I suspect it may be a loosely defined New England Hardaway-Dalton type. It has a deep basal concavity, with very slight corner notching and grinding to the lateral basal edges... made from an extremely fine grained quartzite (weathered brown but tip break appears to be more of a smokey color). If I am correct, that leaves me with a 7000-8000 year gap that I need to work out...lol! I managed to find a few more pieces of the puzzle before the day was over.....a couple woodland pieces and what is likely an older Neville point (stem is broken, but the correct size). From left to right.... Nevile(?), Fox Creek, Levanna, ???, Qtz stemmed point, Squibnocket Triangle
    Click image for larger version

Name:	base2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	372273 Click image for larger version

Name:	group2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	372274
    Attached Files

Ancient point base for sure👍

Comment

Either Hardaway-Dalton, or Hardaway Side Notch on that old base, Garrett. And I would nor rule out Hardaway Side Notch, even if just one notch that I can see. These would both be the New England versions, of course. Either way, a great find! JMO...
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Hunting_Dad
        Hunting_Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        I was hoping you would see this today Charlie. I immediately made the connection to your point when I found it. There is only one notch, but the other ear is ground or otherwise damaged to the point where it could have been erased.

Does Boudreau's expanded typology talk about NE Hardaway lithic preferences?

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        No, he does not mention lithic preference for Hardaway Side Notch, but he only included 15 examples. Those are made from quartzite, argillite, rhyolite, and possibly one chert example. Most of the Hardaway-Daltons are rhyolite and quartz. Your find is in that family group somewhere I'm certain.

Nice finds Congrats . Agree with Charlie...thats. One of these early new england hardaway. Dalton ish points. . he looked at one of mine. And enlightened me about it
      SW Connecticut

Comment

People inhabited a good area just like we would for thousands of years . We were not the first people in Malibu Cal the NA were and there are signs of them everywhere .
        So multigenerational camps or areas like today would be part of life but you know that . I found a Clovis base in woodland camp . But it’s always littered with early flake tools-and knives .
        I would imagine they were not much different then we are . Good water and food supply .

Comment

Garrett, this rhyolite Hardaway-Dalton is in the Robbins Museum. It's the largest example in Boudreau's guide, at 73mm long, or 2 7/8". Some of Boudreau's examples have pronounced basal concavities, like your base does, some not so much, like this example. Recurved ears are common as well, which is a feature that makes the classic Hardaway point from North Carolina so attractive, IMHO. And the really shallow side notching jumps off the page to me, where the type is concerned. I like the quartzite on your find as well, I'd keep an eye on the erosion at that spot, and check it as often as you're able. The one Early Archaic beach site we had gave us quite a few early pieces because of erosion over a few years period, and the degree and extent of erosion made frequent visits worthwhile.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5CAE9E33-91F3-44DE-84F0-BA47B5035BF0-1922-000000D4643D37C3.png Views:	1 Size:	749.6 KB ID:	372322
          Rhode Island

Comment

Your site is going to produce some nice artifacts I believe
            South Dakota

Comment

That would have got my blood pumping for sure.👍👍👍
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
              X