Celt find from back in may

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celt find from back in may

The past few months have been slow hunting for me. In between moving and fields being planted I haven't had much time to get out. Back in may I was able to squeeze in a few days and on one of those days I pulled this nifty celt. Was just walking along and saw the poll end sticking out of the dirt. It was a type of stone that I don't see too often in that field and I just knew by the shape of what was sticking out that it had to be something. The question was, would it be a whole something? I gave it a kick and much to my enjoyment it popped out and was whole! The pics don't show it but it has a small groove pecked around it.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Very nice. Any worked hardstone is a great find.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Yes it is.

Hey Andrew, That's a great find and a real nice celt. I have one grooved celt too. My grooved celt is from Ohio, Marian Co.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Ron. I was very happy to find it. This is my best complete hardstone celt. I just thought it was kinda rough toward the poll end until I washed it off and noticed that it had a nice small groove around it. This one is from Scott county Missouri. Same field I found my full grooved axe in.
      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 06-12-2019, 11:56 PM.

That’s awesome! I have never found one with a groove. Very cool find!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I had never found one with a groove in it either, until this one.

Great condition, congrats on that find.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Greg. Not a ding on it really

Interesting Celt with a groove I wonder if it was at the time when they were starting to go groove less and it was like a mixture? Maybe the makers forgot and in the middle of making it remembered. Probably said to himself man I forgot I didn’t need to add the groove cause I’m making a Celt and not an Ax.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderedthe same thing. I think it was more of a functionality thing, to keep the celt from moving in the slot so much. The area above the groove is a tad bit wider than the area below the groove.

Very nice... I've never seen a groove celt. Still waiting to find something like that myself... though lately I haven't been looking!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Keep looking bc they are still out there. I hope you find one soon.

Hey Andrew that's a sweet find ..congrats man...hope ur adjusting to the move
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Red. We're adjusting pretty well but I'm having hunting withdrawals since I can't just walk out my door and hunt now.

See one nice hard stone makes up for all those days missed .
    I can see the grooves . Very nice Andrew nice save .

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankyou, Tam. I wouldn't say it quite makes up for it but it did ease some of the edge.

Thataboy!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I get a different kind of enjoyment from hardstone pieces than I do from points. The rush isn't as strong but the connection feels more personal. Idk, it's weird.

Very nice artifact. I have wondered about the groove as well. I have found one small grooved celt, but often wondered if it wasn’t actually a war axe maybe. The pole end of it isn’t all beat up like celts I have. It’s balanced right to be hafted for such a purpose. I just don’t believe mine was used as most celts are.
    South Dakota

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve often wondered if they weren’t weapons as well. I’m sure they were used for many things

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That is an interesting thought and I've wondered the same thing. The poll end on this one is pretty rough from the groove to the poll. I'm sure that they could have been multi purpose. I think this one saw standard use, it is one of two celts I've found in this field and I found a full grooved axe in the same field as well.
Working...
X