Newest find is my smallest point yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest find is my smallest point yet.

Went walking a field that I hadn't hit in awhile yesterday. They hadn't gotten around to plowing it yet but the ground wasn't too bad. Very rocky field, lots of debitage and large chunks of material, alot ofpottery pieces too. Didn't find alot, a couple nice flakes and a couple pot sherds. As I was leaving I was walking the bottom of the field where alot of small points are found and I came across this little thing. No in situ bc my phone was dead but here it is. True arrow point. Click image for larger version

Name:	0613191735-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	372649 Click image for larger version

Name:	0613191735a-1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	372650
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Wow, she's tiny! I don't know how you spotted that.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      It was really a lucky find. It was right between my feet when I saw it

That’s a small stemmed point. Pretty nice
    South Dakota

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Gary. Looks like it may have brought home dinner, I think that tip ding is from an impact.

Goodeye

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. It was the same color as the dirt. It made me do a double take.

That's really cool man congrats...nice find Andrew
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Red. It was a luck last minute score.

I was going to ask if it looked like a impact fracture but I already got my answer. Nice tiny point. When I saw you say it was between your feet I chuckled a bit cause that happened to me on my last hunt. I was standing and looking around for black flint and a horse fly was trying to get my leg as I swatted at it I saw a point by my foot. Good save
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I think it is an impact fracture. It was a very surreal find, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me bc it was the same color as the dirt and barely had any definition around the edges. Almost couldn't believe it when it popped out and was a tiny point.

Good eye man, super cool find👍👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I'm still surprised I saw it.

Very Tiny for that material/stone. Is that midwestern? Out west Tiny points seem more common. I wonder if it’s a Desert or regional thing? The Southwest has a lot of small points too!
    Last edited by Sage hen jack; 06-14-2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      We have our fair share of tiny points around here but I don't think they get very much smaller than this one. The site I found this one at used to produce alot of them and it got the nickname of birdpoint field by a couple other guys that hunt it.

Got to love the littles.
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I certainly do.

Nice birdie! good eyes...and whoever made it must have had good eyesight as well...can you imagine being the guy knapping that thing...lol
    Last edited by cgode; 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM. Reason: darn spellcheck is stoopid... lol
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Chris! I like knapping little ones but you have to be careful bc they will snap in half if you aren't.

Some collectors think they used beaver and muskrat teeth to flake the tiny points. Interesting theory
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      That is an interesting theory but I couldn't see using a small tooth as a pressure flaker unless it was socketed in something.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Their teeth must be hard if they can chew wood. Could of been used like you say in a handle

I just saw this and love it .

Comment

That's tiny. Good eye.
      South Carolina

Comment

Working...
      X