Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found what would have been the largest personal find today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found what would have been the largest personal find today....

....only to crush my new record a half hour later.

after the spring floods that turned into summer floods that I thought could last into fall floods finally receded, my Dad and I went to the farm today. We only have about 400-500 acres of soybeans that weren’t flooded out, but at least they are healthy. We’ve had a crew up there fixing culverts and levees and plowing the unplanted parts to keep them busy.

i went to a couple of satellite sites off the main ridge a ways to see what I could see, because I’ve beaten that main site to death this year. It was really hot, and the ground was turned a couple days ago with only a sprinkle to settle the dust, which makes it hard to see anything artifact-wise.
    Anyway, the second place I stopped I found this blade. Almost stroked out....right there, dead as a hammer.

It was then time for some a/c as we drove a mile or so to the next location I wanted to check....
    ten steps from the truck I found the second one...and it doesn’t even look real it’s so big.

i found three or four more brokes, not a whole point for the day, but man...I’m happy as a clam.

also grabbed a double handful of pottery pieces I’ll post tomorrow. I’m exhausted and have to work in few hours.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Nice ones! That looks like it will be a great field to hunt once you get a bit more rain on it.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I went anticipating great things, my Dad’s house is about 8 miles away as the crow flies, but about 45 minutes by road, and he had gotten three inches of rain Sunday. Barely settled the dust on the farm. You are correct...a little rain and it’s like walking on a beach. Easy hunting.

Killer! Time to find the other half of that tip.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      The tip is one I will be looking for the other half of for the rest of my life I think....but I will walk that particular spot a million times if I have to.

Nice finds Jethro looking forward to seeing the pottery!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, here goes...I think it will post at the bottom??

Good day!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Any day I get to spend time with my dad is a good day!

Worth sweating for!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure thought so....and I sweated a lot.😮

I would take that any day !
    east Tx.

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      👍👍

Some nice finds, looks like you have a square knife in the bunch which looks almost whole except a little ding. it may be something else but that is what it looks like from photos
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That's cool! Impressive size, especially for rhoylite.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Keep marching on !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s all I’ve ever known.👍👍

Good day in this heat glad to see you are getting out
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Awesome pieces ... congrats on the good hunt
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            No red rocks, but I did find some Quapaw red/Old Town Red pottery shards...

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Let’s see them red shreds I find the red once in a while

Looks like a great day .

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, and it was.👍👍

These are some of the pot shards from yesterday. I tried to pick up only rim shards, painted, or unique designs.

first pic/top row1-2/second row3-4, etc

1) late Mississippian rim shard from a very well made bowl, super thin and a design engraved on the outer edge.
          2) just a neat piece of stamped/impressed Mississippian pottery.
          3) a cool rim shard with the fingernail imprinted design around the lip. Very common on this site.
          4) another rim shard with a slight variation of the same decoration...maybe made with a stick or bamboo?
          5). A piece of wattle and daub siding.
          6). Part of the base of a bowl. Hard to tell, but the bottom is flat, and there’s part of the side of the bowl attached

Second pic. same layout
          1). An earlier piece, still Mississippian, rim shard
          2) another rim shard, sort of a look like they used a comb on it while the clay was wet, before firing. I see a LOT of this type. I think it made the pot easier to grip.
          3). 3 pieces of two different Quapaw bowls or jars. I know they were bowls or jars because they are painted on both sides...😮
          4). Found this thin piece on a satellite site where I’ve only found pottery and hard stone tools to date. Very late, (Quapaw)and it’s white because it’s coated in a mixture of lead oxide and fat. The other side is a beautiful buff color.
          5&6) two more grey ware rim shards with visible (barely)decoration.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay I see them now 😀

Real nice pottery examples....i like the finger impressed sherds .and the red pieces are mad cool
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have two red bowls and a polychrome (red/white/black) water bottle. I also have a Nodena Red&White water bottle and the color variation between the Nodena and the later stuff is really cool.
        Working...
        X