Several Good Hunts Lately, Central NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Good Hunts Lately, Central NC

Hello friends - been out a few times in the last couple weeks and got very lucky with some nice finds, as well as the usual brokes, flakes and tools. Photos attached - the 3 best points, from left to right: a Caraway, late prehistoric 1000-200 BP. Very interesting material, unlike anything I've seen before. Maybe some sort of quartz? Almost seems like an agate, but we don't have that material here in central NC as far as I know. Next one - Decatur, early Archaic, nice dark material and beveled on all sides. I missed it on the way in that day, stepped right over it! On the way out, happened to walk through the same spot and thought it was just a leaf. Still, I tapped it with my stick and it went "tink". I have to remind myself not to get focused on looking for green rhyolite and quartz here! Third point - Kirk I believe, the usual green rhyolite, early to middle Archaic. Very nice shape, just a small nick on the side.

A couple more worth posting - another green rhyolite point, tip broke and side resharpened, another Kirk I think. And finally a couple of quartz items: a heartbreaker of a point, Yadkin-eared I believe. Very thin and nicely worked, would have loved to find it whole, must have been beautiful! And a nice thin quartz graver, best tool of the trips. Thanks for looking!
    Central North Carolina

Yes some fine ones in that group thanks for sharing my last look was the skunk 👍
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice walk with some really nice finds
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hey Hiker Gal, You have some real nice finds there. Congrats on successful hunts.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

You definitely have an early archaic Kirk component to the ground you've been hiking!! You nailed the ID on the quartz yadkin eared... The uwharrie triangle looks to be rhyolite... The crazy colors are vibrant because they aren't old...and have had little time to patinate! Geez you're filling cases!! Nice!
          North Carolina

Comment

• HikerGalNC
            HikerGalNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the feedback on the material! So new rhyolite looks very different from old water-soaked stuff. Very interesting!

Wonderful finds HikerGalNC! The triangle material does look unusual to me as well. Thanks for sharing wish that Eared Yadkin was whole for you. It sure is made of some pretty Quartz.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Super finds. That little triangle is quite cool lithics. Good hunt.
            SE IA

Comment

Great saves, love them all !

Comment

Great hunt you have some great finds and oldies . That’s 6 in less then a month .. wow

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                  HikerGalNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Tam! I think the last items I posted might actually have been found in July - I lose track LOL. We've had record-level rain here in NC for the last year or so, and it's been good for washing out new stuff.

Nice finds Mel. Congrats
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Wow, nice roll your on.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                  X