Hopewell Artfacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopewell Artfacts

Today’s finds turned up two Lamellar’s, a Copena bottom and either a very interesting rock or something worked, I will let you decide.

At first look it looks like nothing but looking further there is some nice artifacts there, not sure about brown thing
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I would say worked as well. Seems like the Hopewell liked using hornstone. I find a lot of partially worked pieces like these. I don't usually post them because at first glance they could be mistaken for creek wear, and don't want to have to defend my assumption but if you see enough natural hornstone you realize the difference between a casual worked piece and a natural one. Nice finds.
      Central Ohio

Comment

The brown one is probably a fossil of some kind but looks like a monkey head 😁 nice finds
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Pretty sweet! I love that flake knife thingie.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Something for scale would help, artifacts except the round stone.
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Whippoorwill
              Whippoorwill commented
              Editing a comment
              Lamellar blade with point is 3”

Have been reading very smart apparently deceased(?) Painshill’s posts, and saw one in 2013 referencing “Weaubleau” eggs/Missouri rock balls. (This from Kentucky? And Kentucky’s next to Missouri, right?). It seems Painshill also very esteemed member of fossils forum, where discussed similar object and considered possible concretion (also 2013).

He was absolutely brilliant, and this new member sorely regrets not having had opportunity to cross-examine him!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 08-21-2019, 08:39 PM.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              O, sorry, object addressing round rock-thingamajig.....
          Working...
          X