Another for the broken collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another for the broken collection

Yesterday afternoon and evening Monsoon style Thunderstorms produced 60MPH winds 1/2 inch hail and about 3 inches of rain in under a hour! I decided to go look around tonight and found this new washout with about 30 minutes of daylight left. Only found this one broken point tonight but hopefully I get some time soon to get back and look through the 100x200 foot section of flat ground that’s full of all the material that washed down the hill
    Warren County New Jersey

Still cool find. I have something like that from central Jersey. What type Do you call it?
    New Jersey

Comment

I’m not quite sure what to call it yet. I’ve only been hunting for about a year and I don’t know exactly what I find every time I find something else new. I’m looking at pictures now trying to identify it
      Warren County New Jersey

Comment

What state?
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I see it’s on your signature NJ

Yea sorry SurfaceHunter I seem to have a bad habit of not putting down the state where I find my stuff!
        Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          The pic of the field looked like one I hunt but I’m in Georgia I thought for a minute maybe we were close as in locations

Any find is a good one .

Comment

Absofreakinlutly! I’m always happy finding any kind of artifact especially when I’m very limited on time to hunt and when I get lucky like tonight and find something in under a hours time, that’s a great find broken or not
          Warren County New Jersey

Comment

No worries SurfaceHunter I’m probably 700 miles away from you so your fields are safe from me! Lol! Just joking I might be new to this but that’s one thing I will not do is hunt without permission
            Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Much more fun not having to look over your shoulder I hunt with permission to. Don’t always find anything but much more relaxing

I was going to say Perkiomen, but it doesn't quite conform with the base style. The ends of the base both look angled, and it looks like one shoulder is dinged, which would have given it another slight notch. So I think you have the exhausted, reworked bottom half of a Dovetail, dense chalcedony. Probably need a couple closer photos. And remember, when trying to type any point, you have to visually fill in any missing pieces, like shoulder dings, basal ends or edges. etc. You can't type it correctly by looking at it with any parts missing!!
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Any chance it’s a Jacks Reef Corner Notch? It looks pretty close in some of the pictures I’ve looked at
              Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• pkfrey
                pkfrey commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I don't think a Jacks Reef. The basal ears are angled on both corners, those would be sharpened, and the notches aren't deep enough. The shoulders would also come down a bit farther and be sharpened.

I will take some pictures and post them later maybe that will help
              Warren County New Jersey

Comment

I am loving this post what a learning tool . Have to goggle Paul’s last comment .

Comment

• HBird
                  HBird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s always a great learning tool on this site especially when Paul chimes in! I don’t know the man but I do know he lives relatively close to me and is a wealth of knowledge! Sometimes I wish he could dumb down his information to my Shortbus level! Lol just kidding thanks for all your input Paul

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much for the comments and kind words. I only know what I know because I put the time and effort into hands on experience. Visiting quarry sites, learning how artifacts are finished from preform stages, identifying natural deposits vs. altered and synthetic, It's my passion and my drive that keeps me wanting to know more. Research and educate yourself. You will learn a ton of information while having fun doing it! And then when your old like me, you can pass on a wealth of knowledge to the next passionate collector who wants to learn. A microscope is a must with all the fakes on the market. Buy one, and learn what to look for. Although you could expand into other areas, learn about what's being found in your area. Every artifact has a story and when you can spend at least 15 min. talking about one artifact, then you have done your part, and have educated yourself. Once I get started talking, sometimes I don't know when to stop!
                  Last edited by pkfrey; 08-21-2019, 04:33 PM.

HBird, Here are some typical Jacks Reefs from Pa. The typology of the basal area is very consistent. The abrupt narrow notches will angle upward into corner notches, creating sharp shoulder auricles (ears ), and angled basal sides, and the expanded base with sharp basal tips/ends. Normally will have straight bases, but can be concave, and many Jacks Reefs have been reworked into a pentagonal shape. The point itself will not have a medial ridge, but will show random thinning flakes, creating an over all thin point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09202.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	386783 H
                http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Anyway, you can see the angles of the notches in your point don't really go deep enough on the correct angle to be Jacks Reef. Just wanted to explain this for you in a little more detail. Thx. !

• HBird
                  HBird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I see what you mean and would have to agree with you. I took a few closer pictures got you to look at and will be posting them next thank you sir

Pkfrey here’s a couple closer pictures maybe they will help you help me identify this little guy thanks again!
                Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Here I can see the small missing shoulder ears, but not much missing. Broader, rounded notching, slight convex base, not a Jacks Reef, but I am leaning toward the closest match, which would be a Brewerton corner notch.

I can see the resemblance of a Brewerton. I guess since it’s pretty beat up and none of us were around when it was made we will never be certain as to what it is. A oldtimer friend of mine who passed away years ago had the perfect answer to a question like this! He would say “It is whatever you think it is” lol
                Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                X