Discoidal!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discoidal!!

I have to say that it's great to be in a world where others share a common connection and via this digital forum can express (through words and pics) that commonality. As a high school teacher, I could safely say most students' knowledge of Native Americans is wrapped up in a 90 min block over a semester long course. I am not a history teacher, but with my coffee cup full and a weekend story to share and points to show, I give them a few minutes more! Today, I found a first. I have found rhyolite and pottery here before, but never ever ever a clay discoidal/gaming piece. It's too apparent with the size, grounding, and proximity. It seems to be missing a small section, but not sure. We found a lot of sherds, and I included the one point (thinking Yadkin triangle) found not too far away.
    The really great thing about today's finds was that my good friend, Utilized flake, was with me! And to have a connection with all you guys is AWESOME, but having a member just 2 miles down the road is SUPER! Enjoy. Chris
    North Carolina

Looks like a little cookie. Time for midnite snack! What a wonderful way to have your appetite stimulated.... thank you! I’ve not seen one of these before, except in my books.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Looks great to me! It almost looks like the bottom to a vessel of some sort.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Its not a discoidal. It appears to be the bottom of a pot. But the edges are usually ragged, and not smooth. I think its a lid to a small pot. Nice artifact.

Comment

Hey ...good day..real nice ppottery sherds ..
          ​​​​​​
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice finds Carolina Hunter! Some big ol pottery chunks.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Those are really good finds! The pottery is awesome. The Discoidal shaped piece looks like a jug type pottery vessel lid to me. Something like a really old water bottle cap. Very interesting little piece!
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

You found some killer pottery pieces
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Sounds like a good day with good finds!
                  South Carolina

Comment

I think we need better pictures of the round piece to give any definite opinion.
                    South Dakota

Comment

It’s not a disc or it would be flat on both sides. It could be a little paint pot but I can’t tell seeing it’s so blurry
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

nice finds
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It's quite unique, and I think Utilized flake pic shows it well shaped, and he's well knowledgeable. It could have been the bottom of a pot, and after the vessel broke, used for another purpose, perhaps a game piece. I wish I had a pic of it as I saw it, quite evident that it was different, and the wind exposed everything Saturday by clearing off the top sand layer. The edges are definitely ground and yes, one side is concave and the other side is flat. Most sherds I find have Native made impressions (fabric impressed, cordmarked, check stamped), but this piece is unusually different.
                          North Carolina

Comment

• Hoss
                            Hoss commented
                            Editing a comment
                            they did make game pieces out of salvaged pottery I have seen many

• Jethro355
                            Jethro355 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hoss is right, and I have seen gorgets made from pottery as well...but they had holes in them.🤔

Really nice incised pottery shreds . Good size pieces .
                          As far as the point hmm .
                          Bottom sherd looks like it might be a paddle stamped piece with the crossing over pattern , hard for me to tell from the photo . Sounds like you know your pottery types with the different usages of material . If you find more like that , that are defined Paddle stamp .
                          I am with Hoss on maybe game piece who knows .
                          Last edited by Tam; 09-30-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Cecilia
                            Cecilia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You are smart. I’m happy to read whenever you post.
                        Working...
                        X