Lost Lake Heartbreaker, Scrapers and More Super Thin Fragments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Lake Heartbreaker, Scrapers and More Super Thin Fragments

They are injecting manure in my favorite field, but that didn’t stop me from taking advantage of all the flints that popped out of the ground. The lost lake is 3” long and is super thin and elliptical/ flat meaning it was reworked several times before I picked it up. The other pieces on top row are very thin and may be bases from Cobbs Triangulars. I have picked up a hundred of these broken bases over the summer.
    Last edited by Whippoorwill; 10-01-2019, 01:00 AM.

Good thing you got in there before all the crap hit the fan. Yes, heartbreaker Lost Lake. Thanks for sharing.
    North Carolina

Comment

still a nice save
    Wyoming

Comment

Great scrapers too !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Nice ones now I hope it isn’t chicken scratch like they put down in this area boy that stuff smells terrible
        NW Georgia,

Comment

AAuugh! It was thin too! Shame. Really cool to find though, and I'd rather have a broken one, then none at all.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I love that lost lake. I have a perfect base that the top 1/3 of is gone. Almost makes you ill, doesn’t it?

those flakes are whoppers....😳
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Interesting finds! Does the Corner notch have opposing bevels or a rhomboid cross section? I can't tell from the pics but if it doesn't it could be a Kirk Corner notch as opposed to Lost Lake. I get curious about these things because those two are probably my favorite types from Ky, well some days they are lol.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Whippoorwill
              Whippoorwill commented
              Editing a comment
              It is about 3mm thick. I think a lot of them start out his rhomboid and get work down to super thin flat sections

• Whippoorwill
              Whippoorwill commented
              Editing a comment
              For me the bigger question is whether or not it could have been reworked thousands of years later? Another words did woodland. Nappers maintain the shapes of Paleo and archaic fines?

The barbs are probably tool pronounced to be a Kirk.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually no, early stage Kirk's often have barb's similar to LL's . I asked because it appears that it sharpened on both edges of each face whereas LL's are sharpened on one side opposite on each face creating a rhomboid cross section. This along with somewhat thinner profiles of Kirk's and shallower notches is often the only distinguishing characteristic between them and LLs .

Looks like you're on a good Early Archaic site. Nice little thumb scraper.

Comment

Note the fine beveled serrations. The craftsmanship is exquisite. Oh, if it wasn’t missing that ear.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Very interesting find! Sharpened unusually from the Lost Lakes I've seen with the fine pressure retouch on the opposing edge. Not ruling anything out or in, but Kirk Hunter may have gotten his hands on it somehow OR Lost Lake maker decided to improvise with some extra sharpening hard to say. I would love to see the other blade edge side to side just like this because I find it so interesting. I have some photos of the typical sharpening and I went back and found pics of a completely exhausted example and notice what might be a slight retouch on the opposite face of the bevel as well. My guess is it helped with making some nice serrations. Of course you don't have to appease my want but I do find it interesting and educational. Thanks for the look!

Here are pics of the other edge. I too find this interesting and can see you point. No pun intended. The opposing beveled edges appear to make a slight rhomboid. Maybe the Lost Lake is just a Kirk style. Someone decided that it was easier to mass produce consistent beveled edges by ‘flipping’ it, thus the rhomboid arrowhead was born. I have some that have spiral shape. It seems like they would be less arrow dynamic.
              Last edited by Whippoorwill; 10-02-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool! Thanks!
            Working...
            X