Morning creek hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
    Hey Tom, I really like that long narrow blade. What's the lithic material in that one? I can't tell with the heavy patina. Oh I see you did say obsidian.
    Ron, I examined this point more carefully, - it's amazing what your fingers can feel that your eyes might miss on a old worn piece like this - and came to the conclusion it's very old.

It's knapped herring-bone style with great economy, four strikes on each side and edge work which made it serrated.

It's ground at the concave base.

Odd little bulb-like tip at distill end.

I think it might be made with percussion-flaking only and wanted your opinion.

I wish I could 'Type' it , as it's one of my best finds (I think).
    California

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Tom, I have done some flint knapping but have not been able to get a blade like that. That takes some skill. Comparing the patina with other obsidian from the same area I believe tells a story too.

Boy I missed this post . What a beautiful group of artifacts . Yes the long blade is outstanding .
    that one expedient tool you found might just be a cousin to the crescent in the west coast . Learned and forgotten or worked down that’s a beauty in my book.
    Red Hmm jasper

Comment

Nice finds from the Creek that always Gives! That expedient cutting tool is sweet. It has that Crescent thing going on. That long Obsidian Dart Knife is special. Hard one to type. Has a hint of a Side notch going on, but has that very slight concave Base. Sure has look of an old one for sure.
      Last edited by Sage hen jack; 11-12-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

nice finds. We don't have the obsidian material you guys do, but I like the west coast tools. Thanks for sharing.
        North Carolina

Comment

Working...
        X