Just found a point and a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found a point and a question...

Just found this point at one of my go-to spots over lunch... I'm guessing it's a lamoka with the most shallow of shoulders (it made on some sort of river cobble chert and is quite bulbous / not really thinned.) Or some other stemmed point that probably is too difficult to ID due to the rather ambiguous shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7850.JPG Views:	3 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	398802 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7850.JPG Views:	3 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	398803

And now the question... Is this a net weight or just a broken rock? I'm leaning towards broken rock, but it does have three areas of interest... It's hard to see in the photos... but if it is a weight, it looks like they knocked out a notch (striking the edge on an angle as on the reverse, the notch isn't totally knocked out.) Then possibly they hit the other side, knotching out way more than intended. At the bottom, there's a tiny worn and polished area, possibly where some of the "rope" was attached. Again... This could very well be just a broken rock, and that's what I think it is... but I wanted your opinions... It was found along the river and net weights have been found at the river and nearby fields.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	171.5 KB ID:	398804
    Attached Files

Nice point/drill possibly I’m not expert on net weights so I will let others say.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice little point there ..never found a weight yet so let those experts .. calling redrocks the net weight collector

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the same thing, where is Red

Nice point. But as far as the weight goes only the banged out one looks intentiional. Other one isnt but ud probably put that with my many notched net sinkers
      ​​​​​
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• filmiracl
        filmiracl commented
        Editing a comment
        The photos are all the same object, by the way. In any event, I hate these questionable pieces... my honest opinion is that it's just a banged up natural rock, but who knows.

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        I know theyre all the same piece....i meant the one notch that we know for sure it looks like it was hit with another rock intentionally to me ....yeah i know what ya mean about these questionable ones. I call em. "Problematic"

Might be a Greene point http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/pr...es/greene.html
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• filmiracl
        filmiracl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I think Greene points are too far away... This was found in the Philadelphia area. The reason why I believe it's a lamoka is because the stem like literally half of the point... There also appears to be shallow shoulders. Lamoka points usually have well defined shoulders, but looking at some photos, it seem some are similar in appearance to this one... If it's not a lamoka, it may just be one of those generic stemmed point I think that won't ever be typed.

Looks like all the pictures and illusions I have of weights
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I think that could be a weight that lost a piece somewhere along the way. I generally make the call if the notches are - more or less - centered, at least for the small ones. The reason being that I figure the weights would be hard to tie in if they were too lopsided... or least much more susceptible to falling out of the loop. Of course I have the luxury of knowing a guy with over 300 net weights so I’ve studied them pretty hard. But yours definitely has the look. Hard to be sure from a pic though

Comment

Nice point, looks like black flint, could be Lamoka, or untyped
          New Jersey

Comment

If that was notched out as a net weight, I don’t believe it ever saw service. Used weights often exhibit imprints from the sinew or fibers used to attach the rock to the net.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
            X