No announcement yet.

Napa field finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Tom, That's an outstanding hammerstone. It even has some abrading use wear which many do.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• tomf
      tomf commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Ron,

I love that artifact too, especially as it has the context of being found at what I think is a workshop site.

Interestingly, using an exotic brand of obsidian - this grey stuff.

Lot's of chips there but I didn't find any cooking stones so I'm calling it a workshop rather than a camp.

I would love your opinion on the flake at the top of the post.

Do you reckon it's a purposeful artifact, or just a cool looking flake?

Hey tom ..real cool finds....glad ur safe from the fires...you and all californians onthe prayer list. Fellow rock kicker
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• tomf
      tomf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, redrocks.

The fire situation is a huge problem for which there are no clear solutions.

This years fires didn't get as close to us as some previous ones (Valley Fire in 2015 set the yard ablaze) but but you worry and, of course, grieve for your neighbor's loss - whether next door or across the county.

So many contributing factors but climate change seems up there among the principle ones.

What can we do?

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      All we can do is pray Tom..being an electrician for 45 yrs. It amazes me how much power theyre cutting but dont surprise me ..a good arc from a high voltage line is like a torch...my name is Red brother kicker

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
    I like the big oval scraper and the hard stone the best. Glad you are still safe and back on the site I’ve been wondering where you were I always enjoy reading and seeing your finds
    Hey SH,

It's nice to finally have something to share with you guys.

I like that scraper too. Most that I find are uniface with just the bulb chipped off on the back, so this one is a bit different.

What the picture doesn't show very clearly is how the edge slightly fans out where it meets the base which makes it very sharp.

You could push this tool in any direction and scrape very effectively.

Pestle/Hammerstone was found along with those grey-ish pieces. I think it's a small workshop site due to the amount of scatter.

California

Comment

I’m still waiting on the crops to be removed after the big rains we had the last 2 days it will be a while before I can get back out so viewing of others really helps while I wait
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        It must be very frustrating to wait but hopefully, when the time comes, all that rain will have washed out great things.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe but it’s better if the rain comes after harvest. He is running behind this year

Giod finds! Glad y'all are safe. My thoughts have been with California and everything y'all have to endure.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Working...
      X