Tool frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool frame

About 15 or so years ago I was ask to give a lesson on native americans by a teacher at a middle school in town. It has become a yearly thing since then. It wound up being 2 schools requesting the dissertation. I am amazed at the kids intrest. It's only about a 45 miute presentation and I give each one a field grade broke or a tool. I take a frame of about 20 different points found in this area and always passed around a cigar box of misc. tools. This year I made up a frame of misc. tools and it makes it better than looking at tools not in a box. I figure I have enough brokes and thumb scrapers to last many more years. I included a pic. of the frame I made and it looks quite nice. The large hoe has super polish on the work end that even a teacher was amazed that dirt could make that much wear. I was ask how it was used and I didn't have a solid answer. I have quite a few of these large hoe's and would like to haft one if I knew how it was done. If anyone has a drawing of how they think they were hafted I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-01-2019, 12:03 PM. Reason: spellen
    SE IA

That’s really nice of you O2 !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
      Rio Del Norte commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus one on that...

Nice tools. And really cool ur enriching the young ones knowledge if history
    SW Connecticut

Comment

What an outstanding frame.

Fantastic that you are sharing your knowledge and finds - I think this is so important.

As far as hafting an adze, you can see plenty of examples with a google picture search.

Most seem to be seated in a split wood handle and lashed in place.

That yellow knife with a burnished pink edge stands out amongst some other fine pieces, are these some of your best?
      California

Comment

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that knife was a spring find this year, creek. It's one of my favorite as it's jasper and I find so little jasper and its very well made. Not all my best but tried not to put field grade banged up stuff in it. I think the knife,spokeshave is jasper also or just creek stained.? Found that one a few yrs. ago in the same creek. Wondering if there is a local supply there or if it was trade material picked up. Will try google. Thank you.

Good on You oldrocks2
      Wyoming

Comment

I would have to disagree that adzes and hoes were necessarily hafted in the same way and also disagree that a “split wooden handle” was used. There’s a photograph of a reconstruction using a hoe blade from the Cahokia Mounds at the link below. I didn’t post the picture itself for potential copyright reasons, but I can’t see why the original photographer would object to you using it in the kind of educational presentations you are doing

There’s also a watermarked stock picture from Alamy at this link, from which I think it would be really easy for you to produce your own sketch… or maybe even craft your own reproduction.

Download this stock image: Mississippian period stone hoe formed from a chert blade strapped to a handle at Cahokia Mounds, Illinois, USA. - BX85KR from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors.

I congratulate you for what you are doing. I have done something similar on other topics from time to time.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's great, just what I was looking for. I think I will try and mount one. I have a piece of drift wood in the wifes rock garden , it has an elbow that I think would work and it's hard as heck. Thank you for the links.

Thanks for educating and sharing to those youngsters. Real nice Box o Tools too!

Comment

Nice you take the time to share with the kids. They have to love it.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That's a nice frame and great of you to share with the students!
            South Carolina

Comment

Nice artifacts! I share in a local school as well. The kids love it!
              South Dakota

Comment

In grade school in frozen Duluth, Minnesota, science teacher Mr. Moeller introduced me (and the rest of the class!) to geology. To this day, I remember his face, and that particular class. I begged my father to take me to the cave at Ruby Falls, Tenn because Mr. Moeller had taught me the ocean once covered it 200 million years ago, and the cave and all its treasures were left when the sea receded. My dad did just that, as soon as we could go. Mr. Moeller, my dad and that incredible trip marked my very being, forward.

We just don’t know whose lives we change......

Thank you!
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                X