Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to the Halifax/Guilford site again again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Halifax/Guilford site again again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6037.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	407950 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6036.PNG
Views:	157
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	407949 Well I'm not getting out as much as have in previous years. I'm having to work every other Saturday. So when I do get out I'm trying to make the most of it. This last weekend I had one day to play. After work I drove from the NC Mountain's to my NC Piedmont hunting spots. It's deer season. I Deer hunted sunrise and got a smaller 7 point and a piebald deer. I'm mostly a meat hunter but of course I like a good set of horns but my wife is constantly telling me no more deer heads in the house. After cleaning them up it's time to try and find my December point going for at least one point a month November got me but 11 out of twelve I'm happy! So of course I went directly to my lucky Guilford/Halifax site. Not feeling confident because of how hard I've beat this ground I was pleasantly surprised to see a heavy machine did a turn around directly on my spot. It poured rain the night before. Rolling up to the spot I could already see all the chips showing where the machine pushed them up. It took me awhile staring at this small spot to find two points and some brokes. Super happy to find them. Spent the rest of the day trying new spots but didn't find anything else. Thanks for the look hope everyone has had a great year!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

That pink point is a new Piedmont material I haven't ever seen! Love it!
    North Carolina

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      It does have a different hue to it but think the pink color is mostly my phones fault. The other one definitely has a nappy patina. I did just find what I think is a utilized flake up here in WNC. I don't find much up here but I love our imported WNC lithic variety. I'll throw a pic in for ya below.

• utilized flake
      utilized flake commented
      Editing a comment
      I see it looks like a porous rhyolite that had some orange clay around it. No Ordinary knows about her deer but I'm green as a Christmas tree when it comes to killin bambies what's a piebald?

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      A piebald is a half white half normal colored deer. They have unusual characteristics as well and deformed backbone hump on nose wider hoofs and etc. sometimes mistaken for an albino deer but more common. Lots of superstition's about them in various NA traditions as well as European myth's. I believe the Cherokee thought they were halfway in the living world and halfway in the spirit world. Some say it's bad voodoo to kill one but it not my first. Tanning hide and going to make something cool out of it maybe dream catchers?

Sounds like a good few days with fresh meat and some nice looking points.

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks No Average Rock most people travel to the country to Deer hunt I head to the city Mecklenburg county. It's not the prettiest Rhyolite at this site but it's producing a lot of ok finds. Seems like the Guilford Halifax points were made of mostly just ok lithics with a few exceptions.

Name:	IMG_6048.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	407967

Comment

Hey Marshall. Cool finds man. Does piebald have to do with the colors of the deer?
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        You know Red I assume it does but I don't know the origin of the term. I added a picture of it for you. They don't usually live long due to back problems and predators singling them out guess I didn't help. I am going to mount head I actually think it's a sign this place will be totally developed by next year and totally deer less kinda sad!

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. Pic Marshall thx....I googled piebald..it's usually animals having two diff colors with irregular blotches....mostly black and white....that red is cool

Name:	IMG_6049.PNG
Views:	155
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	407979

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Never saw one . Glad to hear you are tanning that .

That's a pretty deer shame they are deformed might of been in pain so you probably helped it. Nice points to glad that site just keeps giving.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks SurfaceHunter! Yea I can't believe how much this small spot has produced. I need to get a picture of all my finds from that spot.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Site frames are cool to have

Sweet finds man! Pretty deer too, it will be a nice mount! That tanned hide would probably make a nice looking seat cover for your vehicle..Time to make some jerky!

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Glacial Pebble that's a cool thought seat cover. I'm definitely going to try and make something unusual out of it. Funny I'm actually making jerky now!

Hey Marshall, Nice finds: That first one has a great patina. We had a piebald deer that visited the orchard daily. One year we had a piebald Red Squirrel under the bird feeder every day.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron I bet that squirrel was interesting looking would love to see a picture of it? We have lots of white gray squirrels around here even have a white squirrel festival. I don't think they are piebald just a recessive gene that shows up in our local squirrel's. This area has an unusual amount of piebald deer hate to see it go to urban development!

Hey Marshall, Here is a picture of the piebald Red Squirrel.

Name:	pibald red squirl 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	408056
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great picture thanks!

Very nice hunt and finds. congrats on the deer too.
      keep on keepin after

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks PointHound!

Nice points to .. good rain bring nice finds after a deer hunt = perfect day to me !

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tam it was a great day!

That's a great day!
      South Carolina

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josie!