Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shelter L3 tool stash,points, pottery bead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelter L3 tool stash,points, pottery bead.

Good start to the week . I had 2hrs to sift and found all the point in dirt that need to be screened from last week. My first ever quartz point and a couple darts one might be a drill. I also found my first ever pottery bead and wasn’t expecting to find a flake of petrified palm wood. I found a hard stone tool stash that was in a pile with sandstone chunks . I thought I was in a hearth but kept popping em out. One is a quartz grinder , a couple pestles and a nutting stone thing with pecking on 4 sides. A few more pieces of paint rock a few shells and a small piece of pottery.

A few extra pics . Everything came up on screen except the tools. Found the the tool stash, I’m not calling it a cash even though all came out of 1’ area. Was found on right side against shelter wall. If your looking at pic there’s a massive about 3’ wide 12’ long and about 20” thick that fell and am hoping there are some good finds underneath. If was occupied I’m hoping to piece together a pot or some blades that got trapped.

Comment

Very nice finds SGT. thanks for sharing.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's an awesome group and fabulous day's work.

I really like the paint rocks - which I've never found, nor could identify.

Beads, shells, points, hard stone...basically the lot.
        California

Comment

A lot of real nice artifacts there. To find all the pestles together like that is amazing.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• SGT.Digger
            SGT.Digger commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s possible that there is more I just am going in a different direction I’ll find out after I sift a bunch of dirt. I think I’m nearing the bottom of the floor of the shelter or a large rock feature that could explain the tools. I’ll crack the code Or get a better idea with a few more hours digging.

Enjoy watching your dig. It is fun and interesting to see what comes out of that site.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I was wondering when you would pull a pestle out of that shelter...........looking great. Keep digging.

Comment

Good haul Sgt...keep it up...good post...what a variety of artifacts man
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Quite a site you have. You’re sure finding nice artifacts
                South Dakota

Comment

Man, that’s a lot ! Heck of a good deal !
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I to am enjoying this journey . Seems to be a very productive shelter .
                    An member in Kentucky had a shelter that was only reduction flakes and broken points . He felt it was a seasonal hunt site where they produced their points and did their job .With all those pastels/ grinders , points seems like a home / camp .
                    seasonal or not .

Comment

Cool finds, has to be an exciting time digging there. Keep after them.

Comment

I went to work at 4:30am so I got off early and I had to go back and screen the dirt so I could see if there was any more tools in what I’m calling papa’s tool box. I’m thinking it was more of a community tool box . I found what I believe to be a quartz axe (video too)was at similar depth but 2’ away from edge of stash. Anyway I got a video of a nutting stone along with some hearth chunks coming out of the same spot as yesterday. Also pulled out a sandstone shaft straightener out of pile . I’m assuming it was one. Has all the right angles. Some broken drills a big blade and a couple broken darts and a misc. I’ll post videos tonight .

Comment

More pics

Comment

https://youtu.be/3p2EDVfYQTM video of another tool coming out. I can’t dig this way until I work back and clear other end of shelter so it will be awhile before I see if there’s more tool in this direction

Comment

Working...
                            X