Hoe and Artifact Site Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoe and Artifact Site Pics

The six inch hoe or biface was found only a couple of inches under the ground. My hunting buddy 'Red' after a long day of digging, who belonged to the neighbors, but always came down to help. Picture of the field before I found the midden. I had to move my cabin to another part of the farm, as this area was sold due to deaths in the family.
    Attached Files

That hoe is a beauty.
    What type of cabin do you have?
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Real nice find..so do you just pick any spot.and start digging? And the dog has my name...cool
      Last edited by redrocks; 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM.
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• sarahsue
        sarahsue commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it was random at first. The dirt road along the field was littered with flint flakes and small chert cores. Then I found areas that, I was finding small pieces of pottery along with lots of broken artifacts. So I concentrated on those areas. When I dug that midden out, the top soil was deep.... about 30 inches to the pan.

Midden pic. The cabin is on the on the right edge of the first picture. And the second is at its new location, on a acre cut out next to the main road that I solely own now. Its a Amish build on skids 14x 20. But I put it on a stone foundation. I finished the inside and installed a solar system for power last summer. I have propane for heat, but the condensation from it is terrible when it gets below 25 degrees. I am going to install a small wood stove this summer for those cold temps.. And dig a out house. I still dig near that midden on the wood line, as the new owners don't care. But the other half of the farm, were my cabin is located now, has some great potential for artifacts. And I am going to start digging some test holes this winter/spring.
      Attached Files

Comment

I dont think that is a hoe. the left lateral edge in the photo looks to have more work and secondary flaking than the right side. In my opinion it may have been a hand held chopper.
        If it where a how the ventral and dorsal face along the working edge would show polish from use ware. That looks like a little slice of heaven to me. Not many folks can walk out side on their own property and find artifacts. Thanks for sharing the photos.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• sarahsue
          sarahsue commented
          Editing a comment
          Its pretty much flat on the other side.....if that helps. I couldn't find a pic of the other side. I gave this to a artifact friend in a shoe box with other rocks that I had found....

I see that happen out here all the time where a farm goes several different ways. Some families try to keep the place intact and other family members just want the money. Sorry it split up...
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• sarahsue
          sarahsue commented
          Editing a comment
          My family has owned this farm for over 150 years. We only had to sell half of it to satisfy the other owners. We also have another 70 acre farm that overlooks the Ohio about a mile away, with a cave and lots of rock shelters. I went digging at the cabin last week and found some broken artifacts. So I am still digging....

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, still hate that it split... I love your cabin. A lot of people think that the pioneers suffered using wood burning stoves but I’m here to tell ya they work very well ! Much better that a fire place too... Ya just have to learn how to adjust the draft and it will do a great job ! Really efficient too, they don’t take as much wood as people think....
      Working...
      X