No announcement yet.

New site revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow a lot of great artifacts and great information shared in the thread . Thanks to all for joining in and sharing the knowledge. Thank you Tom for sharing the finds and starting it off.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by tomf View Post

Tam, here is one of the most important studies of Napa indian archeology. I have wanted to get my hands on this for years but only just discovered an online version.
      It's a goldmine of info for me and represents the best work of it's day (1953).

I'm going to post this on it's own thread but here's the link...

https://digitalassets.lib.berkeley.e...car012-007.pdf
      I read a bit of this and was glad to have some details on how plummets/charms were used as kind of blessing hung on a stick with rope on the location they would hunt or fish. I was reading up some other articles that suggested that they were used as fish weights because they find many in creeks and there was a lot found in a lake somewhere ( can’t recall location ) after it was drained so makes perfect sense , not that they were used as weights but as charms hanging on a string like a blessing over the fishing grounds. The writer of that paper or thesis I was reading said that there are disagreements of use because they are so finely ground and worked that it wouldn’t make sense to loose one off a net. ( but makes sense it was to charm the fish I could see them tying one to a net to increase the catch)You can’t get any better than from the old Indians mans mouth. Makes you wonder how many are just laying in the woods somewhere.

Comment

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        I read that too. Not sure how much credence we can really give ' the old indian mouth', as cultures were corrupted by degree and there's a lot of conflicting testimony.
        For instance, Powers interviewed some California indians that said that stone chipped tools were long forgotten and those still in possession of the tribe were venerated, yet we know about Ishi and contemporary accounts of battles with settlers and army where chipped projectiles were used.

So it's not trustworthy for sure. Having said that,in many cases it's all we have to go on (other than dry archeological observations) and all testimonies are extremely valuable.

Too bad we killed them before asking them who they were....

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve been reading up in Tennessee Indians and during the fur trade in 1600’s the local populations would trade furs for everything European, pots , knives,guns, metal tools and they replaced their pottery for metal pots, flint tools for metal knives and hoes and axe , bows for guns and even ornaments for beads, silver, and even clothes so that after some period of time , the new generations coming up were not taught how to make these things and they became dependent on European goods and in many cases lost ability to make these things . I’m guessing that most Indians suffered the most slaughter from the Spanish in California before we finished em off. I have to read up on em on that side of the country.

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        In California, Missions were first contact for many indians living around the areas they were built. These people were brought in by various means and quickly lost their culture.
        But the Mission's reach did not penetrate too deep into the interior part of the state or the mountains.
        There, tribes remained largely undisturbed.
        Later when under Mexican control and with Russian (and other) fur traders operating on the northern coast and mountains, more encroachments were made.
        Each wave of contact took a heavy toll on indian life and culture.
        But it was white settlers from the east, looking for land and gold, that brought the deadliest assault and finished off the last of the wild indian tribes. Some tribes, like the Pomo, were able to adapt skilfully and retain some of their traditions. Others, like the Wappo, were wiped out entirely.
        Traditional land was stolen and last remnants of tribes were exiled to reservations where, in the general mix, they lost most of the subtle distinctions between the various cultures.
        I think this is, more or less, how it was.
        It's the same story as everywhere else with just a different time-line and actors.
    Working...
    X