L3 Banner stone? Points and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L3 Banner stone? Points and more

Hello I believe I found a partially drilled banner stone that broke during manufacturing. I found a nice translucent point at the deepest level along with a flat slab and a busted pitted hammer stone, a natural nutting stone sand stone slab. No pottery at these deeper layers but found a chunk with that banner stone piece. I have videos of some finds but need some time to post

Looks more like the negative impression of a chrinoid fossil to me. Nice finds Sgt
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That point is amazing!! What's the type on that?
      North Carolina

Comment

Awesome finds sgt
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Here’s couple more pics. Not sure on the type. It’s down deep. Along the same level as ungrooved axe and some tools. I’m gonna try and post a couple vids

Comment

Fossil for sure on the one. Nice point
            South Dakota

Comment

Here’s Bannernoid stone video https://youtu.be/4E1sbCxnN4c

Comment

Here’s the hard stone slab with pitting & slight concave to center. some kind of working surface or endless uses. https://youtu.be/9eAuWz8TBIw

Comment

Your stuff is always interesting.

Charcoal, pottery, paint rocks, chipped stone tools.

Enjoy your paper towel presentation but reckon you could improve the photos with better lighting.

The translucent point is outstanding.

​​​​​​​
                  California

Comment

Here’s a big tool imop would be good for abrasion or sanding down large wooden object idk . If was a nuisance they should have throw out of shelter and not tricked me with funny looking rock. It did have some smoothing and rounded ness to bottom unlike the top or handle if you will. I also found a smaller version a few inches higher and 2’ away that looks the same but smaller. They were not burned in fire for hearth material and since inside shelter has me thinking tool I wouldn’t want to trip over it . https://youtu.be/iswQO6ZMuMg

Comment

Originally posted by utilized flake View Post
                      That point is amazing!! What's the type on that?
                      Not sure , wade, rankin, Snyder’s all look similar. Not really any pottery down this low so far. So don’t think is any woodland time period point

Comment

Looks like you scored a bit of everything ! I love the translucence of the point !
                        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                          Looks more like the negative impression of a chrinoid fossil to me. Nice finds Sgt
                          I was suspecting that might be a crinoid impression but it looked like it was slate w/ polished outside and I’m not familiar with banner stones and what the drilled out area looks like. Looked like a busted tube banner . I did find a crinoid that I’m calling a bead a few weeks ago. It had me going slower and scrutinizing rocks more closely. I’ll just keep digging till I Find something with no doubt. Some interesting stuff but I’d like to find more identifying points so I can age the different layers.

Comment

• Hoss
                            Hoss commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Have it looked at in hand I could be wrong. Photos sometimes can throw a person off lighting and shadows and such can fool these old eyes.

Interesting finds although the lighting in you pics and focus makes it hard for me to make reliable identifications. I think it would benefit your feedback here to experiment with taking pics outside during daylight hours. However i do think the Barbed point you found resembles a Rankin or Hamilton stemmed point. Same type yet different name depending on if your in Ky or TN. Thanks for sharing!
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                            Kyflintguy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Looking back I did see you had pics of that point in good lighting and it helps alot. Looks like grey Knox chert to me too.

Nice finds, hard to tell if the banner fragment and the crinoid fossil are the same stone in the first set of pictures?? That translucent point is a sweetheart, interesting finds.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
                            SGT.Digger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I posted a video of it . I guess I’m calling it the bannerroid. The bannerstone I thought was partially drilled and split before completing . I guess it could be a fossil imprint but the outside looks smooth to me . Possibly they had intent on using because it already had a natural hole shaped it or maybe I’m just not that versed on banner stones or what a drilled hole looks like and am tricked. I’ve never actually seen one in person.
                        Working...
                        X