No announcement yet.

love the deer tracks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice insitu pic. and a great find Sandy!! Really nice point, that is a sweet one!!!
    Joe.

Comment

Great find! Its an old one..good picture because ya can even see the basal grinding.

Comment

[QUOTE]Dandielyonwine wrote:

[quote=Dandielyonwine post=43169]
        Originally posted by gregszybala post=43150
        Wow, very nice Sandy, touch call on the type, 1st guess Stilwell and old!
        thank ya! This one has been a long time coming, considering how often I've been looking. S
          I just checked on the Stilwells and wanted to let you know that was a cool guess. I can see where you were coming from. But take a look at plate 3 items b, d and e. In Noel Justice's book and tell me what you think.
        But only....    If your not busy and have an inclination too.
          The concave base is what throws it for me as far as Thebes, my other guesses were Kessel or Big Sandy. That is what is interesting about points around here, a little of this, a little of that, worked down. I have a frame from one site, I can't put a name to half of them. Still a well done, beautifully made point,don't get to find those everyday!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

[QUOTE]gregszybala wrote:

[quote=Dandielyonwine post=43185][quote=Dandielyonwine post=43169]
          Originally posted by gregszybala post=43150
          Wow, very nice Sandy, touch call on the type, 1st guess Stilwell and old!
          thank ya! This one has been a long time coming, considering how often I've been looking. S
            I just checked on the Stilwells and wanted to let you know that was a cool guess. I can see where you were coming from. But take a look at plate 3 items b, d and e. In Noel Justice's book and tell me what you think.
          But only....    If your not busy and have an inclination too.
            The concave base is what throws it for me as far as Thebes, my other guesses were Kessel or Big Sandy. That is what is interesting about points around here, a little of this, a little of that, worked down. I have a frame from one site, I can't put a name to half of them. Still a well done, beautifully made point,don't get to find those everyday!
            Good point Greg. The notching does looks Thebes. I have seen so called Thebes from Ohio with bases like this. I also have trouble with Early Archaic corner notched points from around here.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Nice point Sandy. Glad you are able to get and find stuff still. This weather has been weird to say the least but it has given so many folks opportunity for looking.    
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Oh I know Hoss, no ice fishing this year! But I like looking for those artifacts! Thanks

Comment

Dandielyonwine wrote:

My mind was already saying broke, when to my delight I saw it wasent a scraper but an arrowhead! Sandy
                  Good looking point, nice symmetry ...you did very well.
                11KBP

Comment

Beautiful point, Sandy! And that was very nice of the deer to step around it that way
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Wow, what a beauty. Congrats! I was thinking along the lines of a Lost Lake type. Same time period as the Thebes.
                    Hope your luck continues.

Comment

[quote=Dandielyonwine post=43122]

:laugh: Taking measurements now. Will take pics with my Kodak in a bit. I'm still drooling and need to call my brother! Lol
                        Some info.
                      length 2 1/8
                      Width 1 1/2
                      Both notches are 3/8
                      Base length is 1/2
                                Width is 1 1/4
                      Beveled on base and blade.  Maybe early to middle archaic. Haven't cracked the books yet.
                      Forgot to add thickness which is about 7 mm. Couldn't find my calipers so I did it old school.[/quote
                      You're on a roll!  Totally awesome and love the beveled base!  That's neat!

Comment

NICE,that will get you heart thumping.! makes me want to goout right now. Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                        X