The de-evolution of a mineral oiled point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The de-evolution of a mineral oiled point

This is one of my South Georgia finds that I soaked in mineral oil some years ago. I decided that I actually like it better unsoaked so I decided to give it a acetone bath. After letting it soak for 13 hours and letting it dry for almost a day it's basically back to normal.

soaked pictures (obviously)
    Attached Files
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

After acetone bath pictures, it'll probably dry out some more near the tip ( I always found the tip on this one a little odd).
    Attached Files
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I like it both ways...I have some points like that, I was thinking the tip

might’ve been used bevel side down as a scraper type tool to get into narrow areas,
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good though Hal, I like your idea better than mine. I always thought this one could've been bigger at one time, broke somehow and they reworked the tip area and couldn't thin that area out

I don’t understand why you soaked it to begin with.
      N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        At the time I was experimenting mineral oil on different types of material. If it wasn't reversible I wouldn't even consider doing it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	490453 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	12.2 KB ID:	490454 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	21.1 KB ID:	490455 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	11.9 KB ID:	490456 Good post about oil, Mike! Here's one (Sarasota Point) soaked in light mineral oil for 30 hours. This was also an "experiment" and I soaked it in acetone to get the oil back out/off it. White is un-oiled. Mottled is 12 hrs and clean/clear is 30 hrs.
      Last edited by tomclark; 09-25-2020, 07:04 AM.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazing how some Florida/Georgia stuff holds the oil, I have one that I've soaked in acetone twice and most of the oil won't come out.

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike, if the material has ANY porosity to it...or material is chalky or degraded it will hold that oil much longer and I have seen some like you said that just doesn't seem to give it up. Acetone and heat don't seem like a good combo but I wonder if just a much longer, warmer soak changed a few times would take it out fully.... I don't want to experiment that way LOL.

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a friend that will put dawn degreasing soap in a pot, fill it half full of water and turn the stove to the hottest setting and let the water boil. When the soap suds start filling up to the top he would turn it all the way to the lowest setting and repeat the process a few times. I actually saw him do this and the cool thing is that you can see the oil lift up. I actually remembered this reading your comment Tom, one of these days I might try it that way.

I wonder what animal fat would do? Bone tools Ive found in Sdakota have an orange brown shade from that

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good question, and it might be easier to remove with acetone or dawn soap if desired. Might be worth experimenting it on a flake.

That's pretty cool, and yet another reason to have acetone around! (my original reason for keeping it around was restoring WWII Helmets.)
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey KP, got any pictures of those WWII Helmets, before and after restoration?

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure, I'll send you a PM.

Neats foot oil is rendered bovin hoof.

Comment

I don't like to use oil on any of my points because it's just not natural to me. Yes, it brings out the color, but I like to use just water and a brush and let be. A little dirt doesn't hurt! Utilized flake hates to see my points w/I oil.
        North Carolina

Comment

Hi AntiMike If you really want to show off a point for someone in the future, Just douse it with a little water, Than brings out the color. Kim
          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• antmike915
            antmike915 commented
            Editing a comment
            with some material yes, but not with all. Especially deep south material.

Cool experiment. Some of the florida points with oil are just spectacular, but not all. It's a neat process.

Originally posted by Mattern View Post
          Hi AntiMike If you really want to show off a point for someone in the future, Just douse it with a little water, Than brings out the color. Kim
          That works on banded slate and some other hardstones, but on the cloudy fossilized coral patina, mineral oil soaks in. I've tried with water, and it just doesn't soak and refract the light the same way as mineral oil.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• antmike915
            antmike915 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, as well as some types of chert.
        Working...
        X