Hoss' First Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoss' First Drill

I saw Hal's post about his first drill when he was just 16 years old. Here is my first drill. I was 8 and found this in my Grandmothers back yard. My cousin had gone to a site where we used to dig near Stevenson's Dam above Lake Zoar in CT. My cousin shoveled some dirt into his truck and brought it to level some ground in my grandmothers back yard. He was a collector too. We used to go over every Sunday and visit. It was a day after my cousin had spread the soil. Typical 8 year old kind of fond of dirt. LOL So I go out there and I find a Jasper drill. I walk in the house and show it off and my Dad and Cousin simultaneously say "Gimmie Dat" My Dad had it in a frame for years and would not give it back to me. Well after he passed the collection passed on down to me and I still have it with some fond memories of the good old days. Strangest hafting area I have even seen on a drill. Could have also been a hand held like the one shown in an earlier post by Hal. Click image for larger version

Name:	jasper drill.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	508761 Click image for larger version

Name:	jasperdrillproximal.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	508760
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

My Cousin told me he looked at it several times but did not pick it up because he thought it was a root.Click image for larger version  Name:	wy1j.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.5 KB ID:	508763
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Great story that comes along with it.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Sweet find and great memories
        SE IA

Comment

Great story and memories and a nice 1st drill. If I remember I'll post my first one later on.
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Good one Hoss
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thanks for sharing that nice drill, Hoss. Maybe it was a wedged in halfting. Just a thought. Kim
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

nice find
                Wyoming

Comment

A root. Your cousin needs glasses, lol! Nice find with a great story to go with it.
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It looks like a hand held root drill to me...Lol...seriously it has the LOOK....”Gimmie dat” , I love it, ha.ha.....a special time shared, thanks.......I believe these were hand held also..

Click image for larger version

Name:	80569890-6E24-495A-9A74-F7357E205BCD.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	508792 Click image for larger version

Name:	AD760EAC-A691-41C8-B94B-D4F5D738AC91.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	508793
                    Floridaboy.

Comment

Nice find hoss....thanks for sharing. Glad it stayed in your collection without getting misplaced....i remember finding a few things in my early days and through all the moves and such...i cant tell you where any of that stuff is now
                      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Nice one! Good memories.
                        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Interesting find and good story
                          NW Georgia,

Comment

8 yrs old... awesome Jasper drill hoss
                            SW Connecticut

Comment

My dad started us young. First time he took me with my older brother he turned us loose in the field. He showed us quartz points and said go find them. I walked up to him and asked? "is this one" about four thousand times. The next week he had a plan. He handed us paper bags and said every time you find something put it in the bag and I will check them when it is full. We must have drove him nuts that first week, Probably sounded like the kid in the back seat are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet? He also brought my brother and I bow and arrow sets so when we got bored we would shoot for a while . When I was a little guy I was jealous of neighbor kids. We lived about 65 miles from Yankee stadium. Other kids would go to games and brag about going. It killed me when I was that age. When I look back now I realize I went on real live adventures of discovery. You cannot trade that for any baseball game.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                                Hal Gorges commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Very special shared moments then, and now, thank you....Now get after them turkeys or they ain’t gonna be had,Lol.
                            Working...
                            X