A few more thinkers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more thinkers.

A few recent finds that I found kind of interesting either because of the odd style or letting my imagination go a little trying to explain them. First few pics is of what I am assuming is a side scraper/blade, maybe an unhafted blunt? However it sure looks like a poorly made Folsum. (I know it's not, plus out of my area) It's just that it is worked from both sides into a bevel that goes all the way around, One big thinning flake down the middle, even if its a bit lopsided. The base is too thick to have been hafted I think. That rounded tip is odd. Lots of use wear and water wore. Seems like it tumbled around in that creek for a while.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220927_230544.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	656907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220927_230607.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	656908Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_224710.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	656909Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220927_230017.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	656910
    Central Ohio

The next pics are of an atlatl dart with an impact fracture and fire popped. I'm guessing it got that way from being inside the prey it killed while being cooked. From that fire to my hands, give or take a few thousand years. The last artifact looks to be half natural, half worked chunk of chert. Seems like the tip was modified to be a hand axe/chopper. I found it interesting to see a combo of natural fractures and well worked flaking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220926_175213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	656912Click image for larger version  Name:	20220926_175207.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	656913Click image for larger version  Name:	20220922_164800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	656914Click image for larger version  Name:	20220922_164909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	656915Click image for larger version  Name:	20220922_164813.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.2 KB ID:	656916
    Last edited by flintguy; 09-29-2022, 10:30 AM.
    Central Ohio

Comment

I'm thinking natural. One of the cool looking flakes looks like an impact fracture and another one has curves in what would be a flake line.
      I just noticed I'm talking about the same flake.
      It's a cool piece for sure
      I can't be made fun of cause I'm still MOTM for another day
      More pictures showed up while I was typing . I'm talking about first set of pictures.
      Missouri

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        You funny!

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        😄👍

I wish I had some of that beautiful red chert.
      # 1. The rock won the fight and the knapper yelled Uncle!
      # 2. Provided a good meal.
      # 3. A core
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I learn so much when y’all start talking like this!
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Likewise, 🤗

Looks like a paleo end scraper with extreme edge wear..IMO.a very interesting piece👍🇺🇸🐟
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Hal. Yes, if you see it in person, definitely worked in the edges. Lots of flaking that's not showing up in the pics so well. Looks like I posted a blurry pic of the edge wear. New phone and I hate the camera. Also, it is water worn down. Work is faded away. That makes me think it spent a few extra thousand years tumbling around. That kind of chert is pretty tough. I find woodland pieces that have sharp edges in that spot so... seems a bit older judging from that unscientific speculation. 🧑‍🔬

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Woodland pieces made of the same material that is sharp, I meant to say.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve seen paleo points made into scrapers like that.probably after tips were broken
          Yours however, I believe was way wider than a projectile at one point...I’m saying made that way from the start..Like you say nuthin beats lookin and handling..stay safe flint 👍🇺🇸🐟

Great photos! I need to learn how to take them like that.

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got a new phone. My old one actually had a better camera. This one doesn't want to take close ups.
      Working...
      X