I hit a double - As in I got two bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hit a double - As in I got two bases

One is made of Saugus Rhyolite. The other I don't know but it looks like it has a chocolate center. Found in two different locations in adjacent towns.
    Attached Files

That Dalton looks like Rhyolite. Very nice and I'd be back there again. 👍
    South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
      That Dalton looks like Rhyolite. Very nice and I'd be back there again. 👍
      Dalton! I hadn't tried type it yet (I'm not very good at typology) but was thinking Brewerton eared. You just made my day!

Comment

Nice!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The rhyolite is in my opinion a Wapanucket. A classic point for Mass. And rarely found elsewhere. Late Archaic 2300 BC. I cant place the red one, but it must have been a beautiful knife in it's hay day. It is still a nice material. May be heat treated material. K
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Atlantic City
          Atlantic City commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate any typology suggestions. Id like to get better but with so many types and so many with overlapping characteristics it can be over whelming!

It can be very challenging AC. Time, hunting and research will allow you to be able to ID more types and Material. The hard part is that many times every area has a different name for the same time frame and point type. The easiest way is to simply study. Get a couple Typology books and look up your pieces. Overstreets is one of the best. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Nice finds. They’re actually both rhyolite, since Saugus “jasper” is a type of rhyolite. I see it in Late Woodland triangles at a couple of sites in RI. I believe I’d lean Brewerton Eared Notched on the larger piece, judging from Boudreau’s samples. Check out New England variants of Hardaway Side Notch in Boudreau, for when it gets tricky, but I still would lean Brewerton. And it looks like a fairly recent break, check out the lack of patina, the rest may be somewhere nearby, it happens. You may be familiar with Boudreau’s guide. A good guy, passed too young, but left us this guide:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...typology-guide

Looks like I never updated that thread. The expanded typology is available again at the website of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society….woops, but then again: https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...s-book-is-back
          Last edited by CMD; 10-01-2022, 01:18 PM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Atlantic City
            Atlantic City commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I have that book. It's fantastic. Thank you.

Looks like a fresh break on that Dalton looking point.

Comment

I agree with everything CMD said there. At first I thought Hardaway Side Notch, but that base doesn’t look ground, so it’s very likely a Brewerton. I’m from Mass and I’ve never heard of a Wampanucket, but I do have a similar point with the same thinning in the base, I’ve always just assumed it a was a Fox Creek Lance, but maybe it’s something else? Click image for larger version

Name:	A12D86D7-C0C0-4F09-A038-9B3785990E8A.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	657238

Comment

Working...
            X