First hunt of the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First hunt of the year.

My buddy Ray called and wanted to get out today, (Cabin Fever) I think. So I had a site I had left alone for a winter hunt. Not 5 Minutes into the field I found a small Triangle. I was so excited I forgot to take an in-situs Pict. Then a very nice serrated Palmer showed it's side view. The serrations are so very fine. At this point Ray found a nice in-graver. Last a snapped base rework, looks like a teardrop but I'm sure it is a rework. All in all a good time was had by us both. Kim

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4825.jpg Views:	8 Size:	212.9 KB ID:	672067Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4820.jpg Views:	8 Size:	217.0 KB ID:	672068Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4821.jpg Views:	8 Size:	210.5 KB ID:	672069Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4826.jpg Views:	8 Size:	150.6 KB ID:	672070Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4822.jpg Views:	8 Size:	202.8 KB ID:	672071Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4824.jpg Views:	8 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	672072Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4827.jpg Views:	6 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	672073
    Last edited by Mattern; 01-18-2023, 06:31 PM. Reason: Correction
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

congrats and well done guys
    Wyoming

Comment

Look at those serrations. Love that triangle too.
      Searching among the footprints. Footprints everywhere!

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I have ever found a serrated point with such small serrations before Oldcrow. Thanks for the like. K

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks OC. it might be a find of the month piece.

Looks like it was a productive field with some nice artifacts
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Not real productive spot but always produces something nice Willjo.

Nice Kim. You have to go back there.
      South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        This site is only 1/4 mi. from my house. Across the road form it is a very productive site. Lots of waist flakes but not so many points. I hunt it every year Jo.

Cant beat that. that's a dandy day.
      Utah

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks smbore.

Off to a good start
      Wisconsin

Comment

Pretty nice artifacts.
        South Dakota

Comment

Really nice Kim . That black one is a stunner .
          love those serrations .

Comment

Good day!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Kim. Congratulations on the good hunt. Some nice artifacts for sure. Although the photo of the serrated point is such that I can see little detail , I think it is not a Palmer because of its length. Coe who named the point says the maximum length is 60 mm. Plus it looks more side notched than corner notched as are Palmers.

Comment

• Mattern
                Mattern commented
                Editing a comment
                I posted the point in find of the month with better Picts. Take a look and tell me your thoughts on the type. Hoss thinks it's a Meadowood's and I agree. K

I wasn't sure my self, just had to call it something. Thanks for the info. Sailor. K
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Hi Kim. Me again. If you post some real good photos of the point in question then perhaps we can figure out the type. It may or may not be one that I am familiar with bot it surely looks like it may be Early Archaic but at this point because of the quality of the photo I don't know. For me at this time I can offer no suggestions. One thing that we can bank on are the fine serrations. That gives me a good starting point. This for me is a puzzle and I like puzzles.

Comment

• Mattern
                  Mattern commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll do a post tomorrow with the best shots I can get, Thank you.

I think you have a nice meadowood there Kim. I agree with Joe its not a palmer. Meadowoods are known to be serrated in some examples. Its not the usual onandaga material but if it is as flat in cross section as it appears in the photo I have no doubt it would fit that typology. This is how William A Ritchie described them in his typology and nomenclature book.
                "Shape: Blade trianguloid in outline, flat in cross section; edges are straight, slightly excurvate or incurvate, and are occasionally serrated or steeply beveled from opposite sides. Stem neatly side-notched, sometimes with double notch. Base straight or convex, sometimes expanded in fan shape, or beveled scraper edge. In about 50 percent base is ground smooth.​"

A very nice find Kim. Thanks for sharing.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Mattern
                  Mattern commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe you are right on for Meadowood. Not too common here but they do pop up now and again. Definitely made of our local Devonian Chert and is very thin. I posted it for find of the month with better Picts. Thank you for your opinion Matt.
              Working...
              X