A Florida Tale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Florida Tale.

It was the first of the march winds and I had been thinkin ‘bout a large field that had been cleared for far too long without a 👀..Waiting, waiting, thinkin..I was like a race horse just before they lift the gate, oh yeah, I was ready..Wasn’t nuthin gonna stop me, not work, nuthin, that’s for sure..

There was no sleepin that night, The winds had been building for days and on that night they got kinda quiet like and the field said to me , “I’m ready”...Well I was there before dawn and the winds started pickin up..And by the time I covered myself up except for eyes and hands the winds they were blowin at a pretty good clip and the sand it was a movin...

Conditions were primo..The first hour pass was mediocre,..A few scrapers and busted points..The second pass revealed new artifacts but not what I was lookin for..The next time around was again a new field..I knew this would be my last run cuzz sand had found places where it shouldn’t be and I couldn’t hardly see...And just then as it often happens there she was..Just a tiny glimpse of pointed pink..I mumbled, “Please be whole “...Ain’t it silly the way we do that....Anyways, that’s the story of the li’l Hilly that was lost and then was found 🤗🇺🇸

Thanks for your patience , them what stayed till the end 😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBB77E6A-8458-4174-9E0E-C4DC801207BE.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	680666
    Floridaboy.

sweet...
    Utah

Comment

Nice artifact, fantastic story, i don't think i have hunted in wind that bad but there was a new field on the way from work and it was ready to walk. it was a monster field and i didn't know where the artifacts were or if they were there. I started walking near road and crossed the field across the middle. It was over a hundred degrees and i had not brought a hat, about the back of field i was wondering if i would make to car. it was well the trip though because some of the best artifacts i have found was at back of field, hunted field several times more and was better prepared to walk it.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I thank you for sharing Johnny..You jogged my memory..I left out the above hundred degrees, less than ten feet visibility and prolly a few more miserable things Lol..BTW.thanks for sharing that great story 👌🇺🇸

Fun story and very nice point.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Great story. The man that made it, certainly prized it. He would have loved to see you rescue it from the sand and cherish it.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          What a great thought Steve.👍🇺🇸.

• Garguy
          Garguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Think about it... he cherished it. Probably never used it because it was so nice. He would take it out if his bag and unwrap it to show the young bucks. The old chief probably tried to buy it. How would he feel about thousands of artifact collectors smiling over it? He was a collector too. He would love it.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          🤗🤗🤗🇺🇸.

Field grade points slip through the mind. A couple of weeks pass and you've forgotten where you found them (keep a catalog folks!). But the special ones all have a story which stays with you.
        It's a lovely point, Hal.
        Size , type and material?
        California

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course..2-1/2”.. which is average size for this type. Which is a Hillsborough point.and made from heat treated crushed fossil shell chert..We collectors call it rice grain however it does have a scientific name but I’m not a scientific person.... And when it’s emerged in certain conditions, such as around a lake they get that great glossy patina..This is as found, no oil or other such substances were added..
          I reckon collectors out your way have favorite names for points also...love your photos.. can I have permission to use em on a photo forum.?. without your name of course.Caption will only read From California..but not sure what part if you would be so kind ..That’s all I got right now
          Cold here today 50 degrees and a drizzling rain.. Sun just now came out..🤗🤗🇺🇸.See ya on the forumTom..Keep em commin.

• tomf
          tomf commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a fabulous point, thanks for the details. The rice grain chert is spectacular and they certainly knew how to work it.
          Happy if you want to share a few pics. No names, please. All my finds are surface collected on private land with permission. Mostly vineyards and the creek by my house. Napa County, California (Southern North Coastal Range).
          Last edited by tomf; 03-15-2023, 04:54 PM.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Napa county all I need thanksTom.👍🇺🇸

Love hearing the stories behind finds. I wish everyone who had one to share, would share. That’s a beauty.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Josie..Me too..Every rock has a story even if it’s a short one and many times is worth more than the rock....Be good, or stay in as much trouble as you can without gettin caught ..You know what I mean 😉🇺🇸

That is a spectacular point!

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank Ya NM.👍🇺🇸..

Love your stories Hal. There aren't many obstacles that can deter a Florida Small foot. 😉 That should be painted on a sign, I think... 😁
        South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂.I don’t got no brushes no more☹️🥲.

“Please be whole”…. 🤣🤣🤣 That’s a great piece of storytelling! Thank you!

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Ira..You’re so very welcome... I forgot all about it..😊🇺🇸

A great story and beautiful point Hal. Keep 'em coming as I really enjoyed it!
        Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tex.. I know you’re familiar with sand 😂🇺🇸

• TexAg
          TexAg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes indeed Hal, and wind! 🤓

Lil Hilly was lost and then she was found. I think that applies to me as well.

Comment

• smbore
          smbore commented
          Editing a comment
          im still lost ....
      Working...
      X