anthropological papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anthropological papers

Anybody collecting from their states? I have found several publications from the University of Michigan press on artifacts (fluted points, copper, galcial kame indians) from my general area. These date back to the 40's - 60's. Found them on abebooks. Some are in reprint but i like the originals. James B Griffin is the author or editor.
    Have yet to explore the Ohio or Wisconsin publications...

Yeah, I love keeping up with the archaeological work being conducted here in southern New England. Not easy to do though, unless you subscribe to the journals devoted to your own region. Archaeologists spend a lot of time talking to each other in peer reviewed journals; not so much time talking to the public about their research and findings.
    Rhode Island

Comment

yes, I'm also happy to find papers about archeology in California, especially the early work. I've found a  number of articles which include information direct from CA Native Americans of the early to mid 1800s, which helps create a context for the artifacts. There's a lot around but mostly reprint. I've also found Abe Books a good source as well as Coyote Press.

Comment

Constantly in search of archy research and other references. Got a computer I'm trying to fill up with them for this SW Michigan and N. Indiana.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I do appreciate The information that can be found in these as some of the sites were studied many years ago and not "common knowledge" or things Everyone knows about. Some of The sites might not exist Today also due to development/progress so I have enjoyed a few journals.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! just got a book in the mail yesterday, quick shipping from the Friends of the Lubbock Public Library for "Geochronology and the paleo indian penetration into lower michigan"
            I just recently found out about the univer press papers from my local inter-library loan system. Was able to check out  "Lake superior Copper culture..." edited by Griffin. Oh the photos (plates) and first person accounts of discovery are incredible. Cannot find this copy anywhere online...so I am scanning in some pages before i return it to the library ( i wouldnt dream of reporting it as missing, though i dearly want a copy !)
            my first purchase was of another library book i had checked out earleir "Archeology of Michigan, a prehistory of the great lakes region" james e Fitting. There mention was made of mounds in "Gratten" near glacial lakes this is in  my township! So that spurred me on....
            as far as recent research goes, not sure what is happening locally, JSTOR beta coughs up a clue now and then but the articles must be bought, so instead i "track" that citation so I can return to it later...

Comment

Thanks for info LD  I search used book stores occassionaly also. Nothing better that finding an out of print site report or archaeological journal. I love these types of references and the older the in most cases .
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

FYI, an eBay win, I just purchased a reprint (from Nabu Press) of "Certain Artifacts from San Miguel Island, California", described as "a reproduction of a book published before 1923" written by George Heye.

Comment

Awesome!
                  Guess what i just found on amazon? even though i swore i checked everywhere already....
                  Lake Superior Copper and the Indians Miscellaneous Studies of Great Lakes Prehistory
                  James B. Griffin (ed); Paperback
                  Sold by c2cbookscom
                  Condition: Used - Good
                  sold!
                    B)

Comment

Thanks Louise at Memphis Library Friends!
                    Another tome, this one, the hefty the one and only from  minnesota to key west the Archeology of Eastern United States JB Griffen. The green baize cover with gilt emblem... :woohoo: the artifact photos, sketches alone are worth the price.

Comment

Working...
                    X