best resources for artifact education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best resources for artifact education

I would like to know where would be the best place to get info on Artifacts. Not just points and the more common things but on the not so typical tools etc. I keep reading post from other members I've never heard of like, spokeshave, burnisher, bar amulate. I find things all the time that are worked and I want to be able to identify them. Thanks in advance this website has been very helpful!

Hey Shea, There is tons of good information on this site in the "Information Center" and it's FREE.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

Hey Shea, There is tons of good information on this site in the "Information Center" and it's FREE.
      Ron, Thank you for point out our "Information Center" However I just want to say that we have a work in progress, and there are holes that have yet to be filled in. Such as the Spokeshave, I just went and looked into our Info Center and this has yet to be added.
      Shea, there are many good books out there to gain the information your seeking, and it is what we have been working on to achieve on our site. With so many types of artifacts you may want to consider just asking your question on the forum, and see what information our members may possess. This would be appreciated in the way of furthering the Information being added to our "Information Center" We all benefit when we use the resources of our members knowledge base, to answer those types of questions.
      Thank you so much for bringing this up!
      I would imagine that you should also get some good books to look at from the members as well. and those could be also added to our Info Center for reference guides.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Google images.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Hey Shea, Here is another one I use to find information on this site:
          At the top of the page click on the search tab and type in spokeshave or some other term.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Hey Shea, I have many books by Lar Hothem. I think this one might be what you are looking for: Rare and Unusual Indian Artifacts.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

Originally posted by Ron Kelley post=126057
              Ron, Thank you for point out our "Information Center" However I just want to say that we have a work in progress, and there are holes that have yet to be filled in. Such as the Spokeshave, I just went and looked into our Info Center and this has yet to be added.
              Shea, there are many good books out there to gain the information your seeking, and it is what we have been working on to achieve on our site. With so many types of artifacts you may want to consider just asking your question on the forum, and see what information our members may possess. This would be appreciated in the way of furthering the Information being added to our "Information Center" We all benefit when we use the resources of our members knowledge base, to answer those types of questions.
              Thank you so much for bringing this up!
              I would imagine that you should also get some good books to look at from the members as well. and those could be also added to our Info Center for reference guides.
                Thanks Shea and Ron and Chase.
              The information Center is coming along nicely. What you will observe is that every now and then a burst of information is added. It will never be complete of course, but knowing what people actually want will help us to populate it with information that is most relevant. For most members, we guessed it would be points/arrowheads and so that's where the initial focus went.
              But the other areas aren't being neglected... it's just that we can't do everything at once. A month or so ago I uploaded 20 or so detailed articles. More recently I added another 40 or so. I hope you'll understand that what we are trying to build is rather more than just a picture gallery or some links to members finds on another post or a hotlink to somewhere else. It's all of that... and more (we hope).
              I've also begun re-organising some sections into more logical groupings so it's easier to find things. That's just as important as the information itself. Generally, those entries with a green tick have been subjected to that kind of tidying up but that doesn't rule out some further tidying.
              As of an hour ago, I have begun adding some "place-markers" (identified with a red cross). Those will - going forward - indicate that something is coming (some time before the next ice age)... either that there is work in progress or that a topic has been identified as a gap that members would appreciate being filled.
              If you (or anyone else) have any more ideas or requests then please keep them coming... but just remember we can only do so much at once.
              Contributions from members are very much welcomed. You can post anything you have put together in the waiting areas for any of the sections in the Information Center (but not directly into the indexed categories). Please be sure to read the aspirations for what we want to see here:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I saw this on artifact addictions on face book wanted to share.

Comment

Indiana74 wrote:

I saw this on artifact addictions on face book wanted to share.
                    Thanks. I've now added that to the Info Centre along with the other such links. At the moment it's not as complete as some other reference websites and only has pictures but not information about lithic properties or quarry sources.
                  (PS: I corrected your link. Without the .com part of the address it leads to the closest match Windows can find (which happens to be the Automobile Association in the UK!)
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

If I post pictures of arrowheads that fall into the typology for EC feel free to add them into the information center to help others.
                    Or I can do it on request. Typing arrowheads is not my strong suit however.

Comment

Thanks I posted it off my smart phone and it changed it...stupid smart phone! LOL

Comment

This site is great for information on common artifacts...regardless of region.

Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Working...
                        X