Identifying Altered Ancient Flint Artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Altered Ancient Flint Artifacts

I am reading Jim Bennett's book "Identifying Altered Ancient Flint Artifacts - Relics -and- Reproductions Series - Book II". This book covers evaluating prehistoric American flint artifacts for modern rechipping, ancient resharpening & ancient slavage. I am one page 98 and am having a hard time putting the book down. I have one of my old artifacts pictured on page 68.
    Jack

So it is definately worth buying?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Jack - Do you happen to know of a book that is dedicated to ancient tools.  I'm starting to get more interested in some of these drills, hoes, axes etc.  Don't find many but just curious about all the different tools they made and used.  ---Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Greg, I think that Jim's books are a good start for collectors that want to learn. This volume has some great pics(a lot of my relics pictured are in it), and has good info that anyone buying relics should know by heart. So, it's a good coffee table book, with some meat. That meat should make many want more meat- more info- maybe in the future volumes.

Comment

Chuck for your location, Lar Hothem Midwest Artifacts series would be pretty good. Try to get the later volumes though my friend, all the photos are in color, I think volume 4 and up are all color. The books picture everything from scrapers, bladelettes, axes, hoes, etc. etc. Pretty good coverage for our region. Didn't get my first book until after a 1-1/2 years of stomping around, and found after I purchased it that some of those neat rocks I picked up and cast to the side were artifacts!!!! Bummer. Ebay is a good source to pick his books up fairly reasonable. I once picked up 3 of them for around 10 bucks and that included shipping.-Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill. I've heard that author mentioned many times before here.  I see ifn I can locate his latest.  Like you - I get this feeling every once in awhile that I'm overlooking something when I toss a possible artifact.  Plus I'm really curious about their early tools.  Tks again. ---Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks Cliff, been making a list and that is now on it. Now just gotta commit and spend a small fortune on a half a dozen books or so!
              Chuck, I have a couple of the Hotham books, nice and simple for quick reference.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg
                It a real good book.
                Jack

Comment

Working...
                X