Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archaeology of San Miguel Island, CA.

The Archaeology -and- Historical Ecology of late Holocene San Miguel island
    California's northern Channel Islands have one of the longest and best-preserved archaeological records in the Americas, spanning some 13,000 calendar years. When European explorers first traveled to the area, these islands were inhabited by the Chumash, some of the most populous and culturally complex hunter-gatherers known. Chumash society was characterized by hereditary leaders, sophisticated exchange networks and interaction spheres, and diverse maritime economies. Focusing on the archaeology of five sites dated to the last 3,000 years, this book examines the archaeology and historical ecology of San Miguel Island, the westernmost and most isolated of the northern Channel Islands. Detailed faunal, artifact, and other data are woven together in a diachronic analysis that investigates the interplay of social and ecological developments on this unique island. The first to focus solely on San Miguel Island archaeology, this book examines issues ranging from coastal adaptations to emergent cultural complexity to historical ecology and human impacts on ancient environments.

Just got this in today's mail and am looking forward to reading it, , it certainly looks
    great and loaded with information , pictures and insight into the local Indigenous Peoples and their Long History in my general area...
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Thank You! information like that is just what I like! And being new and bringing it on is priceless.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Have read a little bit on the Channel islands but not enough. There is a lot of history there! Let us know what you think of the book.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

San Miguel Island is 8 miles long by 3 miles wide.. and it contains 700 recorded sites   hmy:   B)
        I've fished the Island a few times, always wanted to jump off the boat, swim to shore and hunt artifacts..just never have done it....

Comment

Hey Dean, can I borrow it? Sorry, couldn't help myself LOL
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Hey Dean, can I borrow it? Sorry, couldn't help myself LOL
              :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
            Unfortunately My loaning books days are now a thing of the past, as you know      B)

Comment

Working...
            X