Free Google North American Projectile Points Ebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Google North American Projectile Points Ebook

Jack Hranicky is a retired U.S. Government contractor, but he has been involved with archaeology as a full-time passion for over 40 years. His main interest is the Paleo-Indian period; however, he has worked in all facets of American archaeology. He has published over 250 papers and over 35 books in archaeology with his most recent being a two-volume, 800-page, 10,000-artifact book on the material culture of Virginia. In Virginia, he is considered an expert on prehistoric stone tools and rockart. The prehistoric Spout Run Observatory site was investigated by him which dated 10,470 YBP. He has served as president of the Archeological Society of Virginia (ASV) and Eastern States Archeological Federation (ESAF), and been past chairman of the Alexandria Archaeology Commission in Virginia. He is a charter member of the Registry of Professional Archaeologists (RPA). And, since he joined the Archeological Society of Virginia (ASV) in 1966, he is its senior member. And finally, his major publication is Bipoints Before Clovis.

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Nice one Josh! Anybody have this book or read it?
    Review? Looks like it would be a good one to have on the shelf.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I came across it by looking for typology information and though the text/writing is small and there is so many types scrolling up or down is a bit tedious but it might beat getting up and reaching for an actual book or guide, if comfortable. :laugh:  Don't get me wrong, there is some good info and illustrations, zooming might help some folks.

Comment

Hi Josh. Thank you for posting this. I started reading some of it after clicking on the blue citation you posted and found it hard to stop reading.

Comment

How do I download it?

Comment

Can you open the whole book? I got to like page 53, the start of the point identification and that's where it ended. Google does that, gives you a good taste, but not the whole book.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

As far as downloading on your computer. I could be wrong, but, my guess is that you have to have a Google account and if you want the whole thing to view or download into your computer then you would have to pay for it. But because I've never tried to do it, I'm not sure.

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Can you open the whole book? I got to like page 53, the start of the point identification and that's where it ended. Google does that, gives you a good taste, but not the whole book.
                  No Greg, there is no e book available. It says so on the left side of the page. You only get a limited % of the complete book. Having a google account would not make a difference, there just is no complete e edition....
                Rhode Island

Comment

I haven't tried downloading it, You all know about as much about it as me. :blush:  :laugh:

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

I haven't tried downloading it, You all know about as much about it as me. :blush:  :laugh:
                      I don't know too much about Google E books either, Josh. I know they come up all the time in searches, and I often find them very useful in those searches. Much of the time, as in this case, it says "no e book available" on left side of page. But, you do get some of the book to view. Of course, often enough the pages(s) I most want to see are missing . I imagine, since it exists at all, that there are plenty of complete books in the "inventory" as well. Hranicky's book has come up for me in past searches, but I don't know how it is. I believe Cliff knows the author personally.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

“Google Books” has scanned (or obtained via its partners) well over 30 million books as digital text, although they aren’t all viewable. Google estimated in 2010 that there were about 130 million book titles in the world, and that they intended to scan all of them by the end of the decade. When you search for a book, what comes up may be:
                      Full View
                      Books which are in the public domain, where the copyright has expired or is not enforced or (rarely) which are still in-print but the publisher has given permission are available as “full view” and can be downloaded for free. In the past they were usually unprotected pdf files (downloadable via the drop-down box top right) that you could view in Adobe Acrobat, but increasingly they are other file types that may require an e-reader and be DRM-protected. Also, these days, the button at the left which indicates whether an e-book is available is not necessarily an indication that it’s free, even if it does exist!
                      Preview
                      Books which are still in-print, where permission has been granted offer a number of viewable pages which are usually a fixed percentage of the total pages. The viewable pages are not always consecutive and may skip large sections or whole chapters. Often, the index pages are included in the preview. You can’t print, download, or copy and paste the text/pictures into another document and the content is watermarked “copyrighted material” at the bottom of the pages. In some cases, cookies track you as a user to limit the number of documents you can view.
                      Snippet View
                      Books where the copyright owner cannot be identified or contacted, or where permission for “preview” has been denied offer two or three lines of viewable text which include or relate to the search term you used in Google.
                        Even if you can’t download or view the complete book, Google nevertheless has the text stored in its digital database. The database can then tell you things like how many times your search term appears in the book (and highlight it in any preview). That’s meant to help you decide if the book is worth buying, and Google gives you a link to where you could obtain it if so.
                      The database also includes books which have no preview. These books have not been digitized at all, either for copyright reasons or because Google hasn’t got round to it. The text itself cannot therefore be searched and Google can only provide information such as title, subject matter, author, publisher, number of pages etc. In some cases that may also include a table of contents or a summary – both of which are searchable.
                      Google has been sued by numerous publishers, copyright owners and individual authors for flagrant breach of copyright, resulting in some of the content being withdrawn from view. It has also been heavily criticised for its apparent policy of freely copying any work until notified by the copyright holder to stop.
                        A little note about Amazon here too, because what they have been doing is outrageous in my view. Amazon partners have also been merrily scanning books which are out of print where copyright is not enforced. They don’t own the book, but they regard themselves as the owner of the scan… and expect you to pay for it. Those same books can often be found in the Internet Archive for free because they have also been scanned and uploaded to the archive by a library or institution.
                      I find that it’s wise not to accept the first “hit” that comes up when searching that archive. If you flick through the search results you’ll often find a mixture of free and non-free versions of the same book, according to where the scan came from (and if it’s via Amazon, it usually isn’t free). There’s a whole bunch of sources for interesting documents listed in our information Centre here (including the Internet Archive):
                      JSTOR JSTOR (a registered trademark of ITHAKA) is a non-profit-making digital library with a mission to expand access to scholarly knowledge and preserve it...

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I have the book, and it starts well, but there is some bias in the book and more mistakes than should be allowed. I know some people bash Overstreets, but it is 10,000% better than Hranicky's book with out the bashing of collectors by name. I think he wrote this book as a college text book, because the audience isn't people who collect relics.
                        Here is the largest Hopewell Dovetail point? (I guess you are supposed to ignore that the Early Archaic Dovetail wasn't made by the much later Hopewell, or perhaps you are supposed to ignore that it probably isn't even a Dovetail.)

Ray will be glad to know his two Clovis points in the Wisconsin Illinois survey aren't really Clovis points because they are only found in this circle.  (Again, I guess just ignore the glowing errors.)
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	book2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	148
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	207578

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Good review Joshua. The first thing I noticed was the Hopewell Dovetail  :crazy: . From what I skimmed over of the text it was quite evident it was written with a anti-collector slant. And his distribution for Clovis is laughable.......
                          Thanks for the info on Amazon Roger. That was quite interesting.
                          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Good review Joshua. The first thing I noticed was the Hopewell Dovetail  :crazy: . From what I skimmed over of the text it was quite evident it was written with a anti-collector slant. And his distribution for Clovis is laughable.......
                            Thanks for the info on Amazon Roger. That was quite interesting.
                              That's interesting, Ray. I know in the past Cliff has stated that Hranicky was very collector friendly. A self taught amateur archaeologist who was one of the good guys toward collectors :dunno:  As a member of Gramly's ASAA, it would be hard for him to be anti-collector, I should think. Apparently, he does hold to some strange beliefs regarding one claimed Stonehenge-like site he claims to have been involved with in, I think Virginia. Also, he's apparently been buying up bipoints.
                              http://www.clarkedailynews.com/archa...clarke-county/
                            asaa-persimmonpress.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, asaa-persimmonpress.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                            X