Book thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book thread

Lately we have had some posts concerning books that members have found, of interest or are being read.
    Do you think a stickied book thread, reference thread might work here?
    Me, I'm always looking for books, articles, references.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Yes. Good idea. In fact I was going to make a post concerning the "Handbook of Alabama Archaeology" but wasn't sure what category would be proper to put it in.

Comment

I really like these 2 books. Only complaint i have about first one is all the referances to different books, if you don't have those books it could be irritating.
      The second one is definitely awesome though.

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

The first one, by Justice, has become a key reference for a great many collectors. His "cluster concept" adjusts to the weaknesses built into traditional typologies, IMO. And there are now editions for other regions of the country.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Sorry, first one is,   Stone age spear and arrow points of the midcontinental and eastern united states. By Noel D. Justice
          Second is, Indians and archaeology of missouri. By Carl H. Chapman and Eleanor F Chapman.

Comment

CMD, You have a good point, Thanks.

Comment

Whats also very great are the archaeological journals, especially from "your area", and you can pick them up at shows and such usually much cheaper than actual "books"!

Comment

That is a fantastic idea Greg. Call it Recommended Reading or Suggested Reading
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I did already create a section in the Information Center for recommended books, which I began trying to index by topic:
                  POINT TYPOLOGY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Overstreet Guide As of December 2013,...

If you have further suggestions then feel free to post them in the waiting area for that section (Terminology, General Reference -and- Books) and I will index them accordingly:
                  COLLECTING TIPS & ADVICE - Terminology, General Reference & Books - Artifact Forum | Arrowheads.com...

The current indexing was only a first attempt and may need further re-organisation. Currently, there are some quite detailed reviews of the books, which are not completely necessary... but something more than a title would be good.
                  There is a similar section for sites where interesting journals and papers (as opposed to books) can be accessed. Individual downloads for journals. papers and copyright free or out of print books are generally built into the general indexing by topic.
                  I still intend to do some substantial expansion and re-indexing of all those sections if we ever reach the point where the problems created by the forum software upgrade are resolved. It's currently just too painful and time-consuming (page navigation issues, editing failures, picture upload failures, multiple insertion problems, frozen posts etc).
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Does anyone here ever use a Story in Stone by DC Waldorf? Anyone ever seen it? I have the book but it is a copy someone made??? It was given to me years ago. Who ever made the copy did it backwards page one is the last page in the book LOL> Just wondering if anyone has it? or even uses it for typology references?
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

painshill wrote:

I did already create a section in the Information Center for recommended books, which I began trying to index by topic:
                      POINT TYPOLOGY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Overstreet Guide As of December 2013,...

If you have further suggestions then feel free to post them in the waiting area for that section (Terminology, General Reference -and- Books) and I will index them accordingly:
                      COLLECTING TIPS & ADVICE - Terminology, General Reference & Books - Artifact Forum | Arrowheads.com...

The current indexing was only a first attempt and may need further re-organisation. Currently, there are some quite detailed reviews of the books, which are not completely necessary... but something more than a title would be good.
                      There is a similar section for sites where interesting journals and papers (as opposed to books) can be accessed. Individual downloads for journals. papers and copyright free or out of print books are generally built into the general indexing by topic.
                      I still intend to do some substantial expansion and re-indexing of all those sections if we ever reach the point where the problems created by the forum software upgrade are resolved. It's currently just too painful and time-consuming (page navigation issues, editing failures, picture upload failures, multiple insertion problems, frozen posts etc).
                      I thought you had done that.
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I was thinking a thread in the general forum, where all can post and not necessarily just reference
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Greg
                          Your post got a substantial number of "thank you's" so I took that as a sign that we think it's a good idea and I have created the category accordingly and moved this thread into it, along with a couple of other book-related threads. I'll move more from other parts of the forum, as and when I spot them.
                          Folks... feel free to add more suggestions!
                          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Recently I have noticed several references of the Handbook of Alabama Archaeology.  Growing up in Alabama and hunting here since about 64, the reference has always been a foundation in typology for me.  But as my collection and my interest in the details grew, I found the book to be a bit outdated, and limited.  I covered the basic forms but recognized as the years went on that it was due for revision.  It never happened so I began to seek other references to support my need to understand the classification of stone. 
                            Being a scientist I am well aware of the grouper / splitter dilemma, and through my career I have supported arguments for both sides.  So the more I studied point typology the more I recognized the same problems here.  What is enough?  Is it enough to recognize a Big Sandy, or is there need to break it even further.  Obviously, there are easily recognized regional traits for many of the point types that suggest sub-classification is warranted to reflect a repetitive feature for a specialized purpose.
                            I began to look for references to support my personal observations.  I read what I could and quickly realized that classification for the professionals is both a personal issue as well as an emotional one.  Each had their own opinion of what should or should not be done.  But I collected them anyway with the idea that maybe I could merge the ideas of all and have some resemblance of what I perceived to be an adequate classification system.  Most of my references you have all heard about and many have but I came across one in a used book store that I have never seen elsewhere that does a good job to satisfy my level of classification, although I do not agree with the entirety.  The book is Baker, Winston H., 1995. “A Hypothetical Classification of Some of The Flaked Stone Projectiles, Tools, and Ceremonials From the Southeastern United States”.  Williams Printing, Inc., Quincy, MA.  It is broken out by age into Stage, Cluster/Phase, Culture and includes both flaked tools (drills, scrapers, etc) and projectiles/knives with variants.  The drawings are good quality and typically show representative examples of each type.  As I mentioned, I am not sure I agree with his classifications as a whole but I do think the general classification is solid and many of the variants he proposes I have observed in the field.  Is it recognized in the academic world, I could not say nor show concern, but it has proven to be a valuable reference source for the breakout of point types and has contributed to my understanding of point evolution.

Comment

Working...
                            X