Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artifacts of Prehistoric America(Brennan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifacts of Prehistoric America(Brennan)

Artifacts of Prehistoric America by Louis A. Brennan, was published in 1975, and is long out of print. However, it usually can be found on Amazon in used condition.

The main reason I find this book useful, and would recommend it, is because it illustrates numerous classes of very crude and hard to recognize artifacts that collectors nonetheless are very likely to run into hunting prehistoric sites. It's great to have books that show you many examples of the classes of tools we are all familiar with beyond projectile points.  Less common are books that show you many examples of crude or less understood/recognized tools. And Brennan's book is very good for doing that. I'm including a couple images below to illustrate what I am trying to say.
    I would not spend a lot of $$$ on this book. It's useless for typology. But, it's excellent for showing things you will likely run into hunting sites, but might leave behind, or fail to interpret correctly.
    When surface hunting sites, collector bias is always a factor in the assemblage that will be put together from that site. Collector bias means there will be artifacts some collectors will simply leave, because "it's not good enough", or it's simply not recognized. The more you can eliminate collector bias, the more the site assemblage you develop will reflect all the activity present at that site, and not just the activity/artifacts you readily recognize. And, for that reason, I think this is a useful addition to an artifact hunter's library.

As the one customer review states:  "The photos in this book help you to realize you may have passed by some great artifacts!"
    Exactly......
    Rhode Island

I hate to think about how many prehistoric tools I tossed back down, or skipped across the water in my early days of collecting! 
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

I ordered it for $7.98 and that includes shipping on Amazon.  Thank you so much for the suggestion.  I'm sure it will be of great use
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Hope you enjoy it, Luke. Cheap enough. It's been very useful over the years.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Got the original hardback today ... 1975 .
          Had to do it !!!

This right here is why I pick up everything I find
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

People throw back chips/flakes and I have a handful of engravers ..

Comment

Thanks , I am going to get this today . I need a case just for my perforators .
            Need to look at what else I have in my chip jar .

Comment

Bought it waiting for it to come ..

Comment

Charlie this has turned out to be a very valuable book .thank you for this again ... always learning

Comment

I'm going to order the book tonight . I recently found a piece that looks like a Bodkin.

South Carolina

Comment

Josie it helps me understand how each rock is stuck and what a wave will look like to the tiny ridges to pressure flaking .
                    its nice to just pic something up instead of going to the net all the time . I also suggest a book on your area . I bought a book on the Georgia area . It’s very cultural and then that helps explain the people as well as the artifacts . You get a couple of those under your belt and some of these experts Boom your there .

Comment

Originally posted by Josie View Post
                      I'm going to order the book tonight . I recently found a piece that looks like a Bodkin.
                      I am just learning about bodkins . I think I may have a couple myself . Tell me what you think and maybe we should start a post on bodkins .

Comment

• Josie
                        Josie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Tam, I've found a few now. I will post some this weekend. I'm go to try and sort things out this weekend. Deer season starts here in mid September so my husband wants me to wrap up my hunting and stay out of his food plots,lol

Sept ? Man thats early we are Nov down in the South . Yeah I hate that for artifact hunting . Blows the whole deal right ????
                      All I hear is you can’t go out you will get shot . I am orange dang it set me free . There is that 1-3 thing I think when they all stop in our area . Just going to do my property I guess . Have found a point, chips and some pottery so I’ll dig .

Comment

I got one off Amazon for 10 bucks delivered last week, was like brand new. I liked it so much I ordered it's companion, Beginner's Guide to Archaeology, for 7 bucks delivered. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I ordered a copy from Amazon with shipping for $17. Always enjoy going through boxes and "refinding" tools that I picked up over the years and didn't realize what they were at the time. Sounds like this book will be helpful for that.
                          Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                          X