A Good Deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Deal!

Folks sometimes ask me how I know what I know. Well, one of the many reasons is that I read a lot and have a very large library. One of my best sources for old or obscure books is my friend Brian in Yorkshire, who generates funds for a charity by selling unwanted items from house clearances and such.

Brian has a list of my interests and keeps an eye out for books that he thinks I might like. From time to time I peruse what he has put aside, take the ones I want, and give him a donation for his charity which is considerably larger than he could hope to realise from selling the books at rummage sales. Sadly many of the books don’t sell, even when priced in pence, and end up being pulped.

Here’s this month’s selection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0388.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	218607

Name:	DSC_0389.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	218608

I wonder how many copies of this were sold 40 years ago in Yorkshire, England (it has “Amanda ‘76” hand-written in the inside cover)? And who would want it now (apart from me)? It’s fascinating.

Name:	DSC_0390.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	218609

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Also, You're from England.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Roger, your wide ranging and varied interests is what amazes me. I used to think I had wide ranging interests but mine pales in comparison with yours. A true Renaissance man you are. Your contributions to this forum are deeply appreciated.

Comment

Hey Roger - I always look forward to your posts and information that you impart on this site. I have found your knowledge to be astounding but nonetheless informative, particularly when discussing our common interest in both recent and ancient history. Keep on posting cause you'll always have a following here. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice lot of books! I always try to find deals at the local thrift stores and fleamarkets, I have picked up some good books that way...
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Those are very nice books Roger and you are doing him and the charity a real service with your donations while adding to your collection.
            Do you know if this friend ever runs into any books on Canadian history. Be they military, maps, bottles, tokens, glass bottles etc?
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

You have several fans across the pond. Thank you for all you do sir. I have amassed my own collection of native books but I deal mostly through amazon. I will have to check some flea markets and thrift stores.
              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                Those are very nice books Roger and you are doing him and the charity a real service with your donations while adding to your collection.
                Do you know if this friend ever runs into any books on Canadian history. Be they military, maps, bottles, tokens, glass bottles etc?
                It's amazing what does turn up in books donated to him Bruce, so I'll add those interests to the "watch list" and let you know if he finds anything. A couple of months ago I got an annotated map from him titled "Prairie Provinces - The Making of Canada" by the National Geographic Society which briefly summarises Canadian history from the fur trade onwards.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                X