New England history suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England history suggestions?

I have a week in a cabin on a lake coming up in early October. Does anyone have a nonfiction with an early New England flare that they would recommend?

Hi Garrett. Well, I just finished this one, just published in June of this year, and I found it a superb read. I love the story of English-native politics in 17th century New England, and although the focus is on Roger Williams and the Narragansett, you really can't tell that story without dealing with the history of all the colonies and settlers and tribes in southern New England:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...nd-providence/

I've always admired Roger Williams, but it took reading this book to fully appreciate how modern he really was, how very far ahead of his time he was, and how he really was one of our greatest and most influential founding fathers. Very well written as well.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      I gotta pick up a copy of this myself! Looks like a great read ,thanks for the tip too!

Thank you Charlie, that is just the sort of thing i was looking for! Archi books are fine for farting around the house on a rainy weekend, but i was hoping for more of a story.... you nailed it

Comment

A Key Into the Language of America by Roger Williams is a good read too if you can put up with deciphering the ye’olde English it’s written in. Most of it is his interpretation of the Narragansett’s language as he heard it tried to be translated into english, but the book is also chock full of actual accounts of them and his observations of their lives and habits. This is the copy I have Click image for larger version

Name:	2B0EBC8F-C7E7-4E59-B732-8655050057A1.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	318196
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Originally posted by OnewiththewilD View Post
        A Key Into the Language of America by Roger Williams is a good read too if you can put up with deciphering the ye’olde English it’s written in. Most of it is his interpretation of the Narragansett’s language as he heard it tried to be translated into english, but the book is also chock full of actual accounts of them and his observations of their lives and habits. This is the copy I have Click image for larger version

Name:	2B0EBC8F-C7E7-4E59-B732-8655050057A1.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	318196
        Yeah, I have an old copy of that great book. Williams was a true genius, learning Narragansett until he was fluent, or darn close to it. As the book I recommended points out, Williams, when that book was published in 1643, was in London advocating for a charter for his colony. And his book was a huge best seller in England. It was the first look people in England had of what the people in the New World were like, at least in the regions settled by the English. The entire book is available online for free as well.

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
        X