who uses overstreet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who uses overstreet

from the looks of these you'd think i carried them out with me hunting artifacts, fact is they were worn out right here on arrowheads.com, well the old AH chat, looking up what everyone else was finding, i lent the 3rd edition to a friend that moved away and took it with him, it was duct taped worse then the one below so i didn't get mad about that but he also took a book called suns, circles and human hands that did hurt my feelings anyone ever see one

I just got mine last month #12 and the front cover is already bent LOL from looking in it trying to figure out all my items. I just started marking the pages with pc paper so I can remember where the things are. That way I wont have to flip so much.

Comment

Two shovel if your looking for a new one here is the link to the store there are select back issues in there too! http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.php?sid=MTIx
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I use the 4th edition all the time. I also acquired some old books from the 60s at a yard sale many many years ago that I sometime use but they are very out dated and geared more towards archeological finds of Tn. Heres a photo. The one "Duck river cache" is very good. Anyone ever hear of it? The very large cache of 46 Daggers,effigees,ecentrics. Found where I duck hunt at in Humphreys county Tn. If anyone would like to borrow any of them just shoot me pm, Id be glad to, they are great reads. Sorry for getting off subject a bit> :silly:

Comment

Please buy some older copies from my store...The storage locker needs more free room :woohoo: !

Comment

twoshovel wrote:

who uses overstreet
              I don't.

Comment

[QUOTE]11KBP wrote:

Originally posted by twoshovel post=37068
              who uses overstreet
                I don't.
                Why?
              Jack

Comment

I use Overstreet, but also many others. As I am a Texas collector for the most part most of my books are bent toward that.
                Jack

Comment

I like that Overstreet uses common grade points for the most part. At least in the section for my area. I do wish he'd keep restored points out, I was thinking of sending in a few pictures of some of my personal finds, because there is very little from my particular area, and I have found quite a few nice archaic points.

Comment

GobyON wrote:

I like that Overstreet uses common grade points for the most part. THe points you are likely to find. At least in the section for my area. I do wish he'd keep restored points out, I was thinking of sending in a few pictures of some of my personal finds, because there is very little from my particular area, and I have found quite a few nice archaic points.

Comment

[QUOTE]greywolf22 wrote:

[quote=11KBP post=37109]
                      who uses overstreet
                      I don't.
                        Why?
                      Jack

greywolf22 wrote:

I use Overstreet, but also many others. As I am a Texas collector for the most part most of my books are bent toward that. Jack
                        Jack, I guess I don’t need a price guide and I have other references I’d rather use for accurate archaeological information.
                      Since you are a Texas collector I can understand why you prefer most of your books to relate to that region.
                      11KBP

Comment

[QUOTE]11KBP wrote:

[quote=greywolf22 post=37119][quote=11KBP post=37109]
                        who uses overstreet
                        I don't.
                          Why?
                        Jack

greywolf22 wrote:

I use Overstreet, but also many others. As I am a Texas collector for the most part most of my books are bent toward that. Jack
                          Jack, I guess I don’t need a price guide and I have other references I’d rather use for accurate archaeological information.
                        Since you are a Texas collector I can understand why you prefer most of your books to relate to that region.
                        11KBP
                          I use what ever refrence material helps me figure things out and Overstreet has and will continue to be a good tool for me, as well as the others I use. I understand some have issues with it because it has some info in it that needs to be corrected. Matt Rowe thinks they need to start from scratch on it but I think that is taking it to far. The new owner of Overstreet is working on correcting the things that need to be corrected and will continue to do so.

Comment

I was wondering if they ever use the pics we upload for their book or even use the info that we post of items as to where they were found? It is a free site so I would think they had the rite to use them if they wanted too. Just wondering, I know I wouldnt mind seeing some of mine in the book.

Comment

My opinion on Overstreet- From #1, Overstreet started out on the wrong foot by first using the Peakes as consultants. That was a big mistake in most knowledgeable collectors’ opinions. He eventually corrected that and uses a lot of local collectors now- not always the best source of concise archaeological information, but a good way of getting lots of pictures. It is, after all, a picture book, and now the new one has a brand new cover and brand new ads. Also it as updated market reports, to which I myself contributed my small part. The rest is pretty much the same old book despite new owners. For instance, I have a few points that have been in O-st since #3. Same points, same prices. The book idea is good and apparently very marketable, but the information is often what my kids would call "sketchy". True archaeologists call it that too- just ask them.
                               I would like to see a book that is both accurate AND a picture book. In my region for instance, called in O-st the "Eastern Seaboard", there are types listed that do not occur in the region, there are invalid types, and there are points mistyped. Most low grade points are over-priced and high grades are under-priced. It is not where I would send a new NC collector to learn what he has or what it is truly worth. That is a real shame.
                               The bottom line is all about advertisers and book sales- period. Money and nothing else drives the commercial artifact market, and money is what it takes to publish and print that book, no doubt.  Whatever the deadline on the next edition is, they need to start correcting now so that a deadline will not get in the way of scientific accuracy.
                               In the end, Overstreet is a beginner book written by a few true archaeologists, a bunch of collectors and then, the businessmen. I don’t think that profit would suffer any if the information was 100% archaeologically correct, a goal not only achievable but laudable. There is accurate typological information published for almost every region of the world. This info is available, and it should be used as references for these popular layman publications, in my opinion.

Comment

Very well said Cliff. Overstreet is part of my library but I do not often use it for typology. It is what it is, a book designed for the mass market. The pictures are good, the prices don't interest me, and there are lot of inaccuracies. For me, it is a good source of entertainment.
                              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                              X