who uses overstreet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rmartin wrote:

Very well said Cliff. Overstreet is part of my library but I do not often use it for typology. It is what it is, a book designed for the mass market. The pictures are good, the prices don't interest me, and there are lot of inaccuracies.
      I guess I don't need to say why I don't own an Overstreet as Cliff and Ray have provided the facts.
    11KBP

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Very well said Cliff. Overstreet is part of my library but I do not often use it for typology. It is what it is, a book designed for the mass market. The pictures are good, the prices don't interest me, and there are lot of inaccuracies. For me, it is a good source of entertainment.
        +1......my feelings exactly as well!
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Still waiting on mine to arrive in the mail.

Comment

Considering we only had a few months to get this edition out after the change of ownership, It was all we could do just to get it all sorted out and to the printers.  We have a portal for anyone that has any corrections or submissions to the book at Overstreetid.com...If you see errors, point them out on that site(there is a nice red REPORT ERROR link on each page).
          I see a lot of people complaining about some errors, this way you can help fix them
          We are already working diligently on the next edition but crowd-sourcing the problems would be a major help
          Andrew

Comment

Andrew,
              Since you brought it up... the OstID site- it is (for my region) much worse than the O-st book. Almost every entry is wrong in some respect. I tried the Report an error function, and not only is it slow to use, but in order to correct all of the mistakes it will not take "crowd-sourcing", it will take researchers that will research and back up the typological assertions. You will see that in my corrections, I back up my statements with accepted published fact. I have already in 2011 provided full corrections for the Eastern Seaboard region to the editors of O-st, but they were entirely ignored. I will not waste my valuable time researching what has already been submitted and ignored. The true facts of typology should be viewed as established science from the archaeological publications- not whatever the crowd thinks.
               Cliff

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Andrew,
                Since you brought it up... the OstID site- it is (for my region) much worse than the O-st book. Almost every entry is wrong in some respect. I tried the Report an error function, and not only is it slow to use, but in order to correct all of the mistakes it will not take "crowd-sourcing", it will take researchers that will research and back up the typological assertions. You will see that in my corrections, I back up my statements with accepted published fact. I have already in 2011 provided full corrections for the Eastern Seaboard region to the editors of O-st, but they were entirely ignored. I will not waste my valuable time researching what has already been submitted and ignored. The true facts of typology should be viewed as established science from the archaeological publications- not whatever the crowd thinks.
                 Cliff
                I with you on that Cliff the information needs to come from archaelogical publications and be updated as the infomation changes in that community. You do not want to makea wikipedia out of it.
              Jack

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Andrew,
                The true facts of typology should be viewed as established science from the archaeological publications- not whatever the crowd thinks.
                   Cliff
                  Cliff, I'm 100% behind you on that statement.
                11KBP

Comment

I used the "Report an Error" button on the first two major mistakes in the ES region of OverstreetID.com. However, there has been no correction made. So, for the ES collectors (and other regions too) out there- There is no such type as an Adena-Robbins. The type is called Robbins, and it is associated with Adena people, but it's not ever been called an Adena-Robbins except in O-st. (Reference Perino's Selected Preforms, Points and Knives Vol. 1.) Second- in ES, under Alamance, the points shown are not Alamance- not even close. Those shown in the book are mostly Alamance- or Hardaway-Dalton if you will- but on the website they are other types, some with stems.
                  This is important. There's no sense in teaching false information IMO.

Comment

rmartin wrote:

The pictures are good, the prices don't interest me, and there are lot of inaccuracies. For me, it is a good source of entertainment.
                      Ditto that. It's arrowhead pics, plain and simple. Good for entertainment, but misleading to some people who find a point, think they can "match it up" and their $10 point now (to them) is worth $800.

Comment

[QUOTE]Tuck wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=37250
                      The pictures are good, the prices don't interest me, and there are lot of inaccuracies. For me, it is a good source of entertainment.
                        Ditto that. It's arrowhead pics, plain and simple. Good for entertainment, but misleading to some people who find a point, think they can "match it up" and their $10 point now (to them) is worth $800.
                        I also said it is part of my library and I do enjoy perusing it. There has been some sharp critisism here and justified. I tried to correct the Ramey Knife type. The "type site" was added but it was still dated 10000 to 3000bp and only one of the examples was a Ramey. It is a 1100 to 1400 A.D. piece.
                      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I use Overstreet and have had them in my collection for the past decade or so.  I've been trying to buy up old copies but they are getting harder to find in nice condition.
                        Let's face it, writing a difinitive book on stone artifacts that have been around the Americas for the past 50,000 years (we can get into that date later) is a daunting task.  There have been many thousands of types and variations made by independent clans, tribes, and individuals over the centuries.  I give Overstreet kudoes for even giving it a try.
                        We are better with them than without them.  I like to try to consider it "a" resource rather than "the" resource.
                        There are some other good books out there and more are coming along all the time.  I like Jim Bennett's series on "Ancient Indian Artifacts" but it fills a very different purpose than Overstreet's.
                        My intention is to use any resource as an aid.  If I can point out an error or two, I will.  It's all part of the hobby.
                        Historian

Comment

You know I have been watching this thread and there seems to be a great deal of negativity. I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinions. Here is my two cents! There is a lot of good that comes out of the book too. in the current issue the article by Michael Gramly on page 52. it is called Turkeytails, Funeral observances and the sacred calendar. For those of you who have never heard of Dr. Gramly look up American Society for Amateur Archaeology. Dr. Gramly has worked with amateurs for many years and has worked on sites like the Olive Branch site in MO and the Vail site in Maine, Trinity site in KY. He is an advocate of the amateur and their relationships with the professional. He is one of the leading authorities on fluted points in the US today. I think the information I gained from this single article is well worth what this book cost me! 
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss wrote:

You know I have been watching this thread and there seems to be a great deal of negativity. I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinions.
                            Hoss I don’t see bringing to light the errors in the OS publication as negativity. I simply believe readers of OS need to be aware that the publication contains some information that cannot be backed up by the archaeological record.
                            11KBP

Comment

I use Overstreet and have had several editions of it over the years. I like them mainly for IDing of arrowheads from areas I'm not familiar with or at least get a general idea of what kind they are and their value.
                                Another guide I like are Lar Hothem's books. I even had part of my former collection published in one of his books about 13 years ago. I like his books since most of the artifacts in them are from the midwest and common people can submit to them. 
                              But there are many good books and articles on artifacts out there and everyone is going to like what is best/easiest for them to use. And the value of the books or even artifacts is only what someone is willing to give or take for them. My .02

Comment

Sorry 11KBP poor choice of words on my part. 
                                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                                X