Thoreau and "Arrowheading"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoreau and "Arrowheading"

Henry Thoreau loved to surface hunt for artifacts. I was fortunate to hear Duncan Caldwell talk about his reaseach of the subject, at an ASAA meeting last year, where I learned of the effect "arrrowheading", as Thoreau termed the activity, had on his life and thought. What I did not know is that Duncan has made his talk available as an essay on his website. Photos of pieces from Thoreau's collection are included in this interesting read:

http://www.duncancaldwell.com/Site/D...Gothenberg.pdf

Duncan Caldwell's website:

Last edited by CMD; 05-25-2020, 03:57 PM.
    Rhode Island

I have walked in his footsteps, great post.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Thank you for the link CMD. Anything Thoreau immediately grabs my attention.
      North Central Kentucky

Comment

Saved for future reading...
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Excellent read and I had no idea Thoreau was into "arrowheading". It appears he was quite good at it and obviously spent a lot of time doing.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for the very interesting post.

The backstory on the Hex circles cut into the soapstone bowl fragment was fascinating. Along with the ancient vibraphone, who knew?
            Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

Interesting I should see this post today.. I just left a quote from Thoreau in a farewell letter to my 8th grade students, this very morning!!! Synchronicity!!
              Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Originally posted by Pointhead View Post
                Interesting I should see this post today.. I just left a quote from Thoreau in a farewell letter to my 8th grade students, this very morning!!! Synchronicity!!
                In his talk, Duncan mentioned how Thoreau spoke of having a “feeling” that a certain type of artifact was moments away, and then there it was lying at his feet. In my experience, when a person is very deeply involved in something, that’s when synchronicities seemingly associated with that something tend to occur. Hence they are interpreted as “meaningful coincidences”.

Carl Jung, who coined the term, and discussed the idea with Nobel prize winning physicist Wolfgang Pauli, once offered this example: He was working with a patient, who was describing a dream she had the night before in which someone had gifted here a golden scarab piece of jewelry. Something kept knocking on the window in Jung’s office. He opens the window and grabs a scarab beetle as it flew in. The woman’s dream, an inner event, and the scarab beetle, an event in the outer world. A meaningful coincidence, a synchronicity.
                Rhode Island

Comment

How could I have missed this Post?!.....Carl Jung, Thoreau, synchronicity....... I got lil’ goosebumps. To me, this Post another form of synchronicity. Was just now reading article etymonline.com called John Muir and “Saunter” posted October 26, 2019 in which Thoreau was very present. You wonderful egg-headed men will enjoy! Only thing missing was dear dead brilliant boyfriend (I wish),Carl!
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                  X