Ancient monuments of the mississippi valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient monuments of the mississippi valley

This was a must have for my library. Not sure if the book has been posted before but a second mention can’t hurt. I fell down the rabbit hole reading about the mound building cultures years ago. Ancient Monuments Of The Mississippi Valley was published in1848 by the Smithsonian. The work by Squire and Davis is considered to be one of the first scholarly works of archaeology in the area of mounds and earthworks at that time in the United States. These two men visited, surveyed and explored the works in the late 1840s. This is the 150 year anniversary edition. Highly detailed descriptions of sites. Beautiful hand drawn survey maps and images of recovered artifacts. Some views and findings are out of date but a treasure trove of information nonetheless. Thankfully these two men got to many of these sites when they did because unfortunately most are now gone. A great book to have in any home library.
    Last edited by Uncle Trav; 04-05-2021, 08:10 PM.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Right up my alley, Trav... I’ll be looking for a copy...✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Hey trav....i actually puchased this book a few months ago for the kindle...i paid 2.00 or 3.00 bucks for it....i havent finished it yet, but pretty interesting read thus far......you can tell it was written in the 1800's by the language and reads sorta like a textbook, but very interesting to say the least.....i can only imagine what the country looked like back then when these mounds were being studied/explored
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought of picking it for the Kindle but opted for the hard copy so I could study the drawings better. The book was a major achievement for the time it was written in. Really gets the imagination going just thinking of what has been lost.
Working...
X