Joseph Campbell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Campbell

Anyone ever do any research into sociology, mythology, along with archeology? I have read a little about Joseph Campbell (1904-1987)
    American professor, writer, scholar and orator in the fields of mythology and comparative religion. He passionately studied myth and its similar, seemingly cohesive threads among all human cultures, ie that all myths originate from a common source - the communal past of the human race. He believed all the religions of the world, all the rituals and deities, to be “masks” of the same transcendent truth which is “unknowable.” He often quoted a Vedic Scripture saying, "Truth is one, the sages speak of it by many names".
    He is author of several books, including:
    . The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1948)
    . The Masks of God: Creative Mythology (1995)
    . Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation (2004)
    . The Power of Myth (1991)
    many called him a social genius. "The goal of life is to make your heart beat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with nature"~Joseph Campbell~

Did any of you ever watch "Star Wars"? George Lucas was a good friend of J.Campbell and alot of the ideas in Star Wars were helped along by this work. If anyone is interested in how these people in prehistoric times lived, behaved, and believed I suggest reading into some of this mans masterpieces!!

I have studied many religions in my short span here on Earth Stillwell. Many amazing things in all of them. I truly do believe that religion is cultural. The Earth religions are the oldest, and modern religions when you compare have taken much from them. So in my humble opinion there must have been something to the early, sometimes called pagan religions, or modern era or mainstream theology wouldn't have used so much from it.

Comment

I've been reading and listening to Campbell since the 70's.  They still air some of his lecture series on FM Public Radio in Tampa Bay.  I'm sure other public radio stations do also.  Timeless info.  We catch it often in the car on that channel.  In the days of Napster I got some lectures and they are still out there, too, online.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

I believe there is a consciousness in the universe that is in all living creatures and that consciousness has always been here. It cannot be born and it cannot die, it is Infinite, beyond space and time. It comes in many names but it always remains the same,no matter what it is called.

Comment

Well said Jack, I tend to agree with that theory as well. There are times when walking in the woods that I feel more connection to rocks and trees than I do in a crowd of people. Something is always there, and infinite is fitting for the feeling.

Comment

Working...
          X