reference guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reference guides

What artifact reference guides are the best and most up to date?...any suggestions? I prefer an inexpensive one so it can be used in the field without having to worry about messing it up too much.

Halton, Lar Hothem has a series of books, though he is based mostly on Ohio artifacts he has a couple editions called "Artifacts of the Midwest" The later editions are all color photos and at times can be picked up for as little as 10.00. Great for not only points but show great stuff covering hardstone, slate and bone artifacts as well. A little bulky to carry in the field but thre reference and the photos are made by period so it would be handy to take out for reference. I have worn the binding off most of mine. Just remember to look for the later editions as the early ones were B&W. Bill

Comment

Okay I will check that out, thanks alot

Comment

Ebay is a good place to try, I have picked up Hothem books on there for as little as $7.00 and under. There are other publications and maybe even better ones, I just admire Lar Hothem's work. I have his book Indian Flint Types of Ohio and it is my bible for Identifying stuff I find here in the Buckeye State.

Comment

Lar Holthems "Arrowheads -and- Projectile Points" is a smaller soft cover book thats under $10 bucks. Prices are updated by Larry Garvin. The best one though is overstreets. Like Bill said check on e-bay for older editions. Mark.

Comment

okay sounds good, how effective would that reference be for artifacts found in West TN

Comment

The Overstreet guide is a good one for just about anywhere Archaic, you can find multiple editions on ebay(cheaper) or you can buy from us at this link and support the site :lol:
              Andrew Schwinn
              Arrowheads.com Staff
              **PS...the newest edition is coming out in Nov of this year...completely redone and cleaned up, its looking pretty sweet in my opinion!**

Comment

So, Andrew, I take it that all of the archaeological errors made in all of the past 11 editions are finally going to be corrected? You can't turn a page in those without misinformation. It's about time we had a popular picture book that also was accurate and based in real archaeology.

Comment

I finally got a copy 10th edition of the Overstreet Guide to help with identification.  I'm a relative newbie myself and still have problems with identifying but Overstreet has helped.  It's funny - I wouldn't know a mistake in the guide if it was hilited.  I just wish someone would do a full color book on artifact material types by geographic area.  There are sooooo many diff types of arrowhead materials out there.  Maybe Overstreet could undertake that one.  ---Chuck
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Cliff, they are being worked on.  A lot of the errors and misinformation were from past advisors that gave him the wrong information.  If you would like to review it for errors and correct them, I will talk to John and get you an early copy so there will be no errors and be a "popular picture book with accurate information"

Comment

Will there ever be a truly accurate reference guide?
                      Regional differences in style and material of points that we can't even agree on when posted on the various forums. The changes of opinion or how a point is named, based on the era it was found in. Then there is the quality of( or lack of )the workmanship, or a piece that has been reworked. Some pieces are obvious as to identification, some much less so making identification difficult, especially for a novice like myself.
                      It would be nice to have a reliable field guide,small enough to fit in your pocket, be able to wipe the mud off,:laugh: like those regional guides on trees, plants animals etc.
                      All that being said, that is what makes these forums. Got a question on anything related to Indian artifacts or trying to figure out what, where, when, who and how? Great place to get some answers or at very least make you come up with more questions.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well said Greg. I agree totally! Cliff, aside from snap base points what other misinformation are you talking about? Can you give a couple of examples of what needs to be corrected. Im just curious?! Mark.

Comment

Working...
                        X